Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

Busy Weekend, Snowy Weekend, What are you doing?

Finished setting all my posts for my new hoop building tonight. I was suppose to get help to bend the hoops for the movable buildings, but my BIL daughter got sick today. Move to item number two on the list.

I am very excited to set 10 4 by 4 posts in under 4 hours by myself. May not sound impressive, but I did have to chip through 3-6 inches of frost, dug by hand 3.5 feet deep. When I was all done the building was PERFECTLY SQUARE! I guess I am getting good at this.

Maybe on Saturday I will be able to get the sidewalls and endwalls finished. Since I have built two of them, it is getting much easier to do!

I hope to repair the other buildings. I am replacing some of the PVC ribs with metal. This will strengthen the whole building.

I need to start broccoli, peppers and tomatoes this weekend too. It looks like it is starting to be go time. Oh yea, my daughter first birthday party is this weekend too.

Oh yea, did I mention 3-6 inches of snow expected on Thursday night- Friday and 8-10 on Sunday.

I thought we were going to get out of this snow stuff!

I HATE SNOW!

What are you doing this weekend?

Comments (7)

• boulderbelt
    14 years ago

I may be going to a farmers market Saturday IF we can dig our way into the salad hoop house (which I suspect has a lot of harvestable greens). Tried to get in yesterday but the snow was knee deep 15' away from the houses and got deep the closer I got.

We have been starting seeds indoors-leeks, onions, shallots, kale, lettuce, more lettuce, raab. But with deep snow on the ground we can't do much else and it is getting frustrated.

Hopefully the snow will be gone when the bare rooted brambles and strawberry plants arrive in 3.5 weeks, otherwise we may have some issues.

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Staying home and setting up more shelves and more lights. My little old trailer might look like a lighted jungle by the time I can get into the greenhouse.

Thanks Jay for sending that snow our way, only calling for 5.5" of more snow. The sunshine looked good today.

• robin_maine
    14 years ago

Good job jrslick!

I'm going to find a little space in a high tunnel to plant a couple of potatoes. It's just for fun, not for market. I have a 15" hole in a tunnel to patch and a few seeds to start. I think I'm going to spend Sunday with The Organic Farmer's Business Handbook and a pot of tea after making a quick trip to a tunnel to admire the 1/2" tall garlic.

We have 4" of crunchy snow on the ground and above average temps in the 30's and 40's during the day. We should have a three or four feet of snow on the ground right now. I'm lovin' this easy winter after the last painfully hard years.

• boulderbelt
    14 years ago

I need to spend Sunday with the same book Robin. I have gotten through 3 chapters and cannot motivate myself to go further. It's a really good book but crunching numbers is not my favorite thing.

• brookw_gw
    14 years ago

Fighting the flu--this time the stomach kind. Had to kiss a twenty-five year old record of not vomiting goodbye-- Alas. Anyone else been sick all winter? I've been fighting a sinus infection since early December. I've never seen so many outbreaks of illness in our area. I thought long bouts of cold weather killed germs.

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Cold weather does kill germs, IF they are outside.

Sorry to hear about your illness, hope you get better soon.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Busy weekend. I got my posts set for the rails for my movable buildings, both buildings! I still need to set the posts for the 2nd position, but I have until early April to get that done! I can now go ahead and start building up on all hoop structures. I am going to finish bending the hoops on Tuesday or Thursday. Meanwhile, I will work on side walls, replacing hoops with metal ones and repair endwalls.

I did get 228 tomatoes started and about the same amount of broccoli. I need to start some early peppers, but I ran out of time. I will work on that this week.

We missed the snow. Most went east of here. We probably have around an inch. I am SO HAPPY! Probably will be all gone by mid week.

Marla: I always feel better after getting outside when I feel an illness coming on.

Brook: That is some record. As a teacher, too many of my kids share their illnesses. We have had a really sick year at school. Surprisingly, not too bad at our house.

Jay

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner