Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garliclady_gw

Fingerling Potatoes??

garliclady
18 years ago

Has anyone Planted Fingerling potatoes? Are the worth the money and trouble? The markets where I sell customers are willing to try new things and I noticed noone else is selling these. Any one have experience with them .

Also what about some of the unusal collored potatoes any recomendations

The garlic Lady

Comments (6)

• loodean
    18 years ago

I have tried selling them without too much success. I have provide recipes but I think the market I sell in is attracts a lot of people stuck in their ways and it has been hard to get them to try anything they aren't familar with, even with samples. I suspect a market in a large urban area might be easier to get people to try new things, but I sell in a small rural town and it is difficult. So if you are selling in a big city, they might do very well.

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    18 years ago

The main problem I had was getting fingerling seed potatoes at a reasonable price in order to make a profit. If you can get fingerling seed potatoes at even 5 times the price of standard seed potatoes it would be worth trying. I never had trouble selling the fingerling potatoes but I can't say it was worth the bother.

Try the gold fleshed varieties to draw more sales. Some like Yukon Gold are sought after by customers, yet seed potatoes are about the same price as whites. I charge a little more because yields as typically lower.

• glane1219
    18 years ago

Hi, I grow 6 kinds of fingerling potatoes, My favorite is red thumb.
    I found a place in Colorado that is very reasonable on the price and shipping. They have a very nice selection to choose from.
    I am planting 19 varieties of potatoes this year as there are so many to try along with my favorites. Also my brother does very well selling potatoes at the farmers market here, He sales his potatoes as a mixture of red, white, yellow and purple potatoes in a quart box.
    The web site is www.milkranch.com

• snider1946
    18 years ago

Clearly some of us have different ideas about what reasonable potato prices are. I can buy certified seed potatoes for kennebec, pontiac, yukon gold, and irish cobbler locally for 39 cents a pound, less if I buy in 50 pound bags. $2.50 a pound at Milk ranch for fingerlings. and they haven't been shipped yet. I supppose you could buy a start and save your own seed but I don't see how you could possibly make a profit otherwise. Now if you are planting hundreds of pounds, what I am saying is nonsense. You can get some good prices if you buy 500 or 1000 pounds.

Robert

• wackybell
    18 years ago

thank you for listing milkranch.com I ordered 50 lbs total, 20 lbs all blue, 10 mountain rose, 10 rose finn apple and 10 austrain cresent. my total bill including shipping was about $114. I thought it was a good deal. Also I think these are the people who were on the discovery channel's "dirty jobs" the host came and helped dig taters. once I saw the show I knew this is were I want to get my taters. I also plant about 250 lbs of yukons and norland potatoes that I buy locally.

all were planted yesterday along with about 100 lbs of onion sets.

It is an old german catholic tradition in our area to plant your potatoes on good friday. This is something our family has done forever. however it rained on Thurs, delaying planting by 1 day. We use an antique potato planter that is at least 70 years old we paid less than $100 for it at an auction. 10 years ago. If we didn't buy it, it would have gone to the scrap yard same thing goes for our digger.

• digit
    18 years ago

I know a grower who makes very good money growing specialty potatoes. He says most other folks just grab a bucket of them on the way to the market. Not this guy! He has over 20 varieties.

Wackybell has probably got a good thing started. I'm surprised that Yukon Golds sell fairly well since they are commonly available in the supermarkets, but they apparently do. The others will tempt the more adventurous customers and if my friend's experiences are characteristic - result in good sales.

I'd say, "go for it" Garliclady! Specialty potatoes go well with your other product line. You've got to realize however, you could have planted them weeks ago there in zone 7 . . .

Steve

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction