Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eric_wa

Photos of your Farmers Market Booth

eric_wa
14 years ago

Hope this hasn't been covered.

Could you post some photos of your past years Farmers Market stands / booths. This will be my second year and looking to make it better.

Thank You

Eric

Comments (36)

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Sure, I'm not on my computer, but my sons and I don't have my pictures on this computer.

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, kiss the kids and run right home.

Eric

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

I can't find the photos, I'll have to check the camera at the kids house. I do have some pictures of the Bloomington Farmers Market. Not my stand, but other stands. Now how do I post them on this board? Or I can email them to you.

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I like posting, so others can enjoy.

I use Photobucket to upload pictures. If you like I could try to walk you through it. Try the link below. If you want you can also rifle through my photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo Bucket

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Ok, here it goes, cross your fingers.

Here is a link that might be useful: bloomington farmers market

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

your link is taking me to my photobucket. You will need try again.

Eric

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    14 years ago

Here is your link for your pictures.

I didn't know you grew and sold flowers. Do you do this all summer or only in the spring?

Nice pictures.

Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: My Familys Farm

• prmsdlndfrm
    14 years ago

Hey, thats Spencer! Someones been in my backyard, and I think theyve been eating at my neighborhood Mcdonalds! LOL :0)
    My wife works at Boston Scientific, just down from the Mcdonalds.
    josh

• prmsdlndfrm
    14 years ago

Finished looking at the pics, and youve been all over my neck of the woods :0)
    Id better behave LOL
    josh

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Jay, thanks for fixing it.

Josh, I used to live in Spencer when I was a little kid and my dad worked for the pipeline. Cracked my head and had to have it fixed by some doctor in Spencer, Very nice people helped us out. My mother didn't have a car and she waved someone down and they took us to the doctors. And yes, Josh,, I have been all over your neck of the woods.

These are NOT my stand, but pictures of the stands at the Bloomington Farmers Market back in April, 2009. We went down to check it out.

After I get my other camera back, or at least the SD card, I'll post some of my pictures. You'all may notice that there are some pictures of my 'greenhouse' and my hubby.

• gardener1908
    14 years ago

Nice photos. You seem to offer a lot of variety. Really liked the egg wreath. Why the plastic on the ground of the greenhouse. For warmth or some other reason?

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

We put the greenhouse on a grassy area behind our trailers and put the plastic down to kill off the grass and weeds, plus it helps to keep the mud under the plastic and easier to walk on. I would have put some gravel down, put did not have any. Again those photos of booths, were not mine, just a farmers market that I visited. But thanks for the compliments, I only wished that I could do all of those booths.

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

myfamilysfarm,

Are you sure these are not you booths? Just kidding. My mother likes to say, "look with your eyes, not your mouth"

I really like this bleacher set up. Did you notice if its collaspible? Dosen't look like.

Hope to see your booth photos.

Eric

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

It doesn't look like it. I use 4' adn 6' white tables, sometimes I even remember to put the tablecloths on LOL. My stand is 20' wide, I use 2 10x10 canopies. I usually park my van sideways within the 20' next to the curb. The canopies are set up about 6-8' away from side of my van, with a tarp between the van and the canopies. Within the 10x20 covered canopy space, I set up the tables. 1 6' down each outside side of the space, then a 4' at the end of each 6' with the remaining space utilizing more 6' or 4' tables. I leave a walkway along the back side of the canopies, to be able to stock the tables. The front side of the canopies are open for the customers to walk in. Sometimes I put a 4' table centered on the front side where the canopy legs meet.

Hopefully you can image what I'm try to describe.

During the tomato peak season, we put tomatoes on one side table, 6' size, with 2 tomato boxes deep and 5-6 wide for total of 10-12 boxes. We heap the tomatoes as high as possible without falling over. On the other side is whatever else is producing very well. For most of last year, it was Zucchini, about 8-10 boxes of zukes in various sizes. We sell Zukes the same price no matter the size. We have some customers that want smaller zukes and others that look for 'bread' zuke (the monster ones). On the rest of the table space, we just put whatever else is available. I do ALWAYS put my new potatoes next to the green beans.

• HerbLady49
    14 years ago

I took these pics a couple of years ago, and since that time the market has tripled in size. I used to grow and sell retail from my nursery, but retired in 2006. I'm thinking of growing and selling only for this farmers market. They're extreamly active in promoting the market, and have a wonderful web site.

http://www.buckscountyfoodshedalliance.org/

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of my Farmers Market

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

herblady, great pictures. At my market we are squeezed up next to each other with no space between the booths. We are supposed to leave 2' walkway, but most people don't. Our market in one the street and we are allowed 10' wide parking space per booth. I usually get 2 booths so that I can display alot of my produce.

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Our Market is also set up like a street. Booths on both sides. No space between booths. We also have a 10 x 20 space.

Nice photos. Photo FM1 how much were they sell the Golden Dogwood for?

Eric

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Until the last 3 years, our market was on both sides of the street, facing the sidewalks. They only had both sides of the street starting in 2000. Three years ago, they tried the marketing out into the street. It made it much easier for ALL of the vendors to have a fair share of the customer's attention and hopefully sales. Our market has expanded to the point of needing to move to a different location after 165+ years. Nobody can come up with a better place. We have a state hiway on one side of our market, so I have to close the road in the opposite direction. We have already taken over the only parking lot within the original block long street. I'm not sure how much more we can expand. Of course, this is only the case on Saturdays when we have so many vendors and customers. If someone wants to see what our market looks like, I'll attach a link to the website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lafayette, Indiana Downtown Farmers Market

• bagardens (Ohio, Zone 5b)
    14 years ago

Here are some pictures of our table at our market.

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Don't you LOVE those white tables, they are so much lighter than some others. I've had some of mine for 8 years now with little wear and tear showing. I also display my cherry tomatoes as variety pints.

• bagardens (Ohio, Zone 5b)
    14 years ago

I agree the white tables are so much lighter than other tables. At our market they have some of the regular tables available in case anyone needs them, and you can kill yourself carrying from the building and back.

Last year was my first year selling the mixed cherry tomatoes. They sold really well. At first people were a little hesitant to try them, but once they did we had lots of people coming back every week after that to buy more, sometimes even more than one pint.

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I went around our winter indoor market yesterday. Here are some photos.

Produce
    {{gwi:1038401}}

Baked goods
    {{gwi:1038402}}

Teas and Bath salts
    {{gwi:1038403}}

Mexican food
    {{gwi:1038404}}

My brother
    {{gwi:1038405}}

There are also vendors selling meat, soap, sheep skins, etc..

Our booth was pretty meager yesterday. Mixed salad greens, mixed asian greens,chicken eggs, garlic plants, scarlet runner bean seeds and Sunchokes. aka Jerusalem artichoke (Helianthus tuberosus).

Eric

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Eric, you're lucky to have an outlet for your produce at this time of year. Here, nothing til May 1st. Of course, Mother Nature isn't as friendly at this time of year either.

Our market, the individual vendors have to supply everything, how does our markets compare?

We're lucky if we get alittle bit of advertising. And we are charged $290 per booth/season or $25 per Saturday. How are you charged, if charged?

• prmsdlndfrm
    14 years ago

Your brother, now we know who got the looks, hehehe
    josh

14 years ago

Eric,

Where do you hold your indoor winter market? I have always wanted to have an indoor winter market in one of the towns I sell in. The market manager is against it. Well he is against anything that he sees will make him work more! :)
    He said find a location and a time and maybe we will talk about it for next year.

Very nice!

Jay

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

myfamilysfarm,

My brother has a greenhouse and a hoophouse. That's why we have salad and asian greens. Some greens are coming out of his low tunnels in the garden.

Yes, we also can only sell what we produce or craft. No buying and reselling of other farmers goods. We can buy vegetable and herb starts grow them out and sell the produce.

I believe we are $300.00 for the season and $15.00 for a single Saturday. Thats for a 10 x 20 space. The Farmers market is in the process of getting a permanent location closer to town. See link below. This will be a year round market.

Josh, Oh Yeah! I now you are, but what am I.

Jay,

Our local Senior High School. We have two Saturdays in November, two Saturdays in December, One Saturday in Jan, Feb, Mar, and April. Then every Saturday through October.
    Your Market manager, sounds like our NPS Superintendent.

We sould 4 garlic plants on Saturday. Have any of you sold garlic plants? They are for the people who forgot to plant last fall. $1.00 each.

Eric

Here is a link that might be useful: San Juan Agricultural Guild

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Eric, have you thought about online selling of the garlic plants? Of course, you might not have near enough.

Josh, the City Market in Indianapolis has an inside farmers market during the winter. Or they were talking about it a few years ago.

Jay, sorry I don't have an location for you in regards to a winter market. You might check google, farmers market, USDA, KS. There might be some that are year-round.

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mff,

Not enough garlic plants for that. We did sell between 500 to 700 veggie starts in 2009.

I've sold over 500 items on Ebay. It's a lot of phisical work and book work. Paypal and Ebay take their chunk too.

Eric

• garliclady
    14 years ago

here is our booth at different places and seasons

a href="http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f245/CornerstoneGarlicFarm/?action=view¤t=109.jpg"; target="_blank">

• PRO
    WildThings Rescue Nursery
    14 years ago

Wow! Some beautiful displays!

I am,.. for the most part,.. the "Crazy Plant Lady" at markets, selling unusual perennials and native woodland plants potted, as well as buckets of cut flowers arranged in bouquets.

The front far corner of the tent is my son's first year growing veggies, cut herbs, etc., and sharing my booth with me.(He did such a good job for a 14 yr old!)

Sure wish I knew how to put the pic directly in the body of the post, but I don't,...so the link will have to suffice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crazy Plant Lady's Tent

14 years ago

Finally found a few photos. I wish I could find some of my main season pictures. They are far more beautiful. They really showcase what I sell. I guess these will have to do.

Here is a picture of my stand on May 23rd. Season started on May 9th. It looks like I had green onions, zucchini, lettuces, a few potatoes, tomato and pepper plants, tomato hanging baskets, eggs, jams and jellies. We sell out of the back of our trucks. This was my old tent. I broke one of the braces. I have since fixed it, but I did buy a new one.

Early June Pictures:

{{gwi:64895}}

{{gwi:64900}}

{{gwi:64903}}

Picture of some of the jellies. I have changed jars and they look much better now. One piece lids and straight sided jars.

{{gwi:64897}}

Not at market, but sitting at home ready to go to market tomatoes.

• elrem2002
    14 years ago

Wow, lots of nice photos and ideas!

I have been selling at a very large market for many many years from spring until killing frost in the fall. Used to sell til Christmas. The last few years we have sold a lot of hot peppers.

{{gwi:1038415}}

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

elrem2002,

That's a nice colorful display. This will be my second season selling. How do you guesstimate on how much produce to bring? Of all those peppers, how many are taken home at the end of the day.

Eric

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Take as much as you can, you can always bring it home. If you don't have it with you, it will not sell. I always bring some home. I have had customers show up after the market has ended, but I haven't left yet. By having alittle left, I can still make sales. Of course, I don't discount anything unless I can't/won't use it myself. Plus the chickens LOVE the leftovers. When I feed them the leftovers, in their area, they seem to leave the produce in the gardens alone.

• elrem2002
    14 years ago

Eric, sorry to be so slow getting back here. Had trouble logging in.

{{gwi:1038416}}

This is a picture taken a couple years ago about 10:30PM before loading the truck. That's just part of the load. On a good day at the market we will bring home nothing. Zero. On a not-so-good day maybe 2 or 3 small hand baskets. And on a really bad day 5 hand baskets. I sell at home too so having something left is no big deal.

I'm just one of over 300 vendors at that market and many others also sell a lot of peppers. Lots of vendors sell shipped in produce all year around.

Guessing how much to pick and take is just years and years of experience and from records that I keep. I've been going to that market for 33 years. Around here September seems to be the month when people make sauces and do most of their canning.

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Wow! 300 vendors, I thought we were big with 50+. And 33 years, cheers for you.