Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Most popular Potted Flower ?

Posted by Organic__Bandy Colorado (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 10, 05 at 5:57

Greetings everyone, first time poster. I was just wondering, as far as sales go what the most popular potted flower is at markets? I dont have time to grow vegetables for market as im growing another business but i do have space and time for a single variety flower or plant. I have a market less than 1 mile that is heavily visited. i am also thinkink of using a local online comunity to market through. Any feed back would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Most popular Potted Flower ?

I'm not sure what the most popular potted plant is at Farmers' Markets. I'm not even sure if I've ever seen anyone at Farmers' Markets growing but ONE type of potted flower.

But I do know that the most popular potted flower in the nursery busines is geranium (Pelargonium).

There are seed strains available for those who want to "grow their own" (you?) and there are vegetative types available (as plug-rooted cuttings, simple rooted cuttings, and un-rooted cuttings).

The seed strains are adequate and would be enough to get you started. If you do well in your first year or two, I'm sure you'll move up to the vegetative types.

Joe

o

I don't take many annual type except fancy coleus and in 1 gal. unusual annuals like south african foxglove,cat whiskers,lopeza,ect.but most want perennials. My best selling perennial would be daylilies. I do take some house plants with fancy leaf begonias being the top sellers.I also take african violets and flame violets but they're slow to move.This year I'm adding small leafed-ivy plants in 5" pots to the house plants I sell.Wanted to try yellow impatients but they're cost prohibited.

PP

o

I know at the stand geraniums and mums are by far the most popular potted plants

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here