Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbrown297

liability insurance

mbrown297
19 years ago

I just did a search in the archives on the topic of liability insurance and didn't find much.

I recently received a call from a chef (in response to a previous cold call)and one of the first things he asked was if I have insurance. I'm going to call my home insurance agent today, but I wanted to know if anyone else has any thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,

Mike

Comments (14)

• herbgal921
    19 years ago

We do have product liability insurance because we "manufacture" our dried herbs into herb seasoning blends. Our market requires it for any processed foods. We purchased ours through our insurance company and it is a seperate policy from our homeowners. It was not cheap!

• elainect5
    19 years ago

Here in NW CT we get reasonably priced insurance through The Farm Bureau and Farm Family.

• anniew
    19 years ago

Although I don't process anything which inevitably raises the costs of insurance, I do have a "rider" on my homeowner's insurance that covers general liability (if someone falls, for instance) for my stand and two farmers markets. It also covers product liability, which would be for problems such as if people said my veggies made them sick. Each state has different rules. For instance, I am in Pennsylvania, and cannot not use this policy to cover me in New York since it is such a libelous state (according to my insurance agent) and I would therefore need to have a farm insurance policy which is considerably higher to be covered in New York.
    If you have assets (your home or farm) you probably are putting yourself at risk by not having any insurance, although many go without. I, for one, do not wish to risk it, especially since my rider is soooo cheap.
    Ann

• katycopsey
    19 years ago

herbgal
    I was able to get insurance attached to our homeowner/car insurance policy. Ours was thru Auto-owners (who do more than cars) but are not in every state. I suggest that you contact your insurance agent, and perhaps find an independant insurance agent that deals with several companies so that they cn get you the best rate.
    good luck

• gponder
    19 years ago

I had a tough time finding a policy but my new insurance company, Allied, added an addendum to my homeowners for any problems associated with the veges/fruits I sell. We're certified organic so thay had no problem offering this. We pay $21.00 a year for this coverage

• adrianag
    19 years ago

What the chef was probably asking about is "product liability" in case somebody gets sick from eating your product. This is probably not covered by the other policies mentioned above. If you have a Farm Bureau in your state they probably offer it.

• Belgianpup
    19 years ago

Also check at your local Grange. Grange Insurance has long been a source for farmers. You would probably have to be a member, but there may be other benefits also.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

>I am in Pennsylvania, and cannot not use this policy to cover me in New York since it is such a libelous stateYou probably meant litigious.

• alan-in-calhoun-il
    15 years ago

we have a clause in our renters insurance for farmers markets and another one for commercial lawn mowing because I mow out churches cemetery. The company is country companies. cost is about $400 a year

• insurance
    13 years ago

A smart insurance company has finally put together an insurance program for all types of farmers markets vendors! The program provides the vendors with group rates for $1,000,000 in general and product liability per occurrence with a $2,000,000 annual aggregate limit and a zero deductible. This will cover the vendors while at all markets that they participate in. Note that there is no limit on the number of markets in which you can participate. The only requirement is that all such markets must be listed on your application for coverage to be provided. The cost of the policy is $350 per year for vendors that generate less than $100,000 total annual sales at the markets listed. For those vendors that generate in excess of $100,000 in annual sales, the cost of the policy will increase at a rate of approximately $5 per thousand of sales.
    Premiums are paid annually and once coverage is extended, the premium is fully earned and non-refundable. Coverage is provided by an A rated insurance company.
    The policy will also name the market as an additional insured so that in the event of a product liability or general liability suit where both parties are named, the market is covered.
    Visit their website www.campbellriskmanagement.com for more information and vendor insurance applications, or call or email the person below for more information.

Larry Spilker
    Campbell Risk Management
    800-730-7475 ext 203
    lspilker@campbellrisk.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Farmers Market Vendor Insurance

• Chrissy Chris
    11 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with Campbell? It looks like the way to go, but I want to do my homework first.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

I'd check them out (or anyone advertising in this forum) with the state's attorney or whoever is in charge for insurance. Since it's been 1 1/2 years since he posted his advertisement, he may not even be in business.

First place to check is your homeowner's agent, sometimes they can just add a rider to cover your farmers market activities.

• harvestingfilth
    11 years ago

We used Campbell last year as our agent to provide our product liability coverage. Larry was great to deal with, answered all questions and provided the certificates needed for us as well as answering questions for our market managers, and providing the paperwork our market location needed to satisfy THEIR insurance that the vendors were covered (a non-profit hosts our location).

I can't speak to claims as thankfully, we had none. But they were easy to deal with, answered questions quickly and efficiently and walked us through the process. I think the price is a little higher for us than listed above, but that is NY for you. Too many lawyers here.
    Carrie

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

Since my last post, I've noticed that they are also advertising in 'Growing for Market', in the last issue. their premiums are higher than what I was paying, but their coverage was also higher.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!