Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter Market

Posted by boulderbelt 5/6 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 21, 09 at 6:23

I am doing a market today out doors in SW Ohio. I have a lot of leeks, parsnips, potatoes, spring mix, popcorn, red turnips,garlic powder, hard necked garlic, dried beans, dried herbs, dried tomatoes and dried apples plus lesser amounts of other greens (mizuna, lettuce), red onions and rutabagas. I am hoping for no snow and temps a bit above freezing so we don't lose the taters.

Anyone else doing winter markets?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter Market

All I can say, Lucy(?)
......Is You got heart, woman!

Zone 5, like me,..and I just looked at your BLOG and saw all the snow surrounding and on top of your hoophouses, (JUST like mine)
And I just couldn't imagine doing a market right now!
You go girl!

I do a Winter market that only runs up until Christmas,...INdoors! (LoL)
December was long enough for me and all the other Farmers, I think,..
As the sales were pretty pathetic. (Like, about 1/8 of what our nice weather markets usually generate.)

I'd love to see winter markets gain more popularity around here!

At any rate,..I wish you the very best of luck and SALES!

o

Heck, I'm trying to decide whether I can get a tomato and pepper crop in before our markets CLOSE in May, if I use seedlings!

Talk about worlds apart!

o

The market was snowy with ice but enough people came out to make the trip and standing in less than balmy weather for 2.5 hours well worth it. Not to mention I was out of meat and eggs and both were available so I stocked up.

We sold out of all the leafy greens we brought, most of the leek, most of the onions, a lot of garlic, a lot of parsnips and some of most the other things we brought.

My husband and I are big into season extension and jumped into doing such long before we had any markets lined up to sell the winter items through winter (which was good as it took several winters to get a handle on growing on the backside of the calendar). 5 years ago I was part of the group that started a now thriving farmers market and 3 of us had hoop houses and said we should do an outdoor market all winter. So the Oxford Winter Market was born and sets up shop the 3rd Saturday of the month. Hopefully this winter market will find an indoor venue someday. or at least covered.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here