Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where do you get your produce containers/boxes?

Posted by hockingapple 5b (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 7:01

I'm going to be new to the "market gardening" thing this year, and I've been trying to find an on-line source for boxes and other type containers that I would take my produce (mostly tomatoes, squash and zucchini) to market in. I'm talking about containers that are specifically for produce (flats, for example). Haven't had much luck finding what I'm looking for. Do any of you have an on-line source you could share for such items?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where do you get your produce containers/boxes?

Montespkg.com is one. Another is glaciervalley.com. Monte, I've used. GlacierValley was a new vendor at my spring conference, they are set up for smaller growers.

Where are you located? If near an Amish community, you might be able to get boxes thru them. Especially if they have a produce auction. They buy a large amount and then sell to their growers and others.

Marla

o

I get lots from the grocery store where I work. The tomato and strawberry boxes stack nicely for bringing tomatoes. The sweet potato, apple or pepper boxes are great for peppers, eggplant and summer squash. Banana boxes are good for root veggies and squash and melons. I get small tray boxes from the grocery and dairy departments for people buying a few plants in spring.

There is a local old couple that make bushel baskets and till baskets so I have those too. I like the ones called squats. If you have a truck with topper or van the cardboard boxes are fine. I do not have a topper but it doesn't rain very often on market day and if the boxes get wet I just take home more.

o

Buckhorn Plastics out of Milford, OH has really wonderful plastic stacking/nesting crates but this is a wholesaler so they do have a minimum. You can get their crates with no min. via Nolt's produce supplies in Leola, PA

Here is a link that might be useful: Buckhorn Plastics

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here