Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
latebloomer_gw

Plant signs

Latebloomer
17 years ago

Isn't there any software available where you can print out a picture with a short write up laminate it and place it in front of the plants you are selling???Please someone tell me there is so I can be making pictures during my downtime.Horti-Printers are too high for my little operation plus I'd like to learn to make my own because my inventory is always changing during selling season.Also I'd like to add I'm not the best at the computer,it needs to be simple.Hope someone can point me in the right direction...

thanks,

Latebloomer

Comments (17)

• ohiorganic
    17 years ago

I make signs using my digital photos using Appleworks (I have an iMac) which has a drawing and paint program in the application suite. I use the paint program to size photos and than cut and copy the photo when it is the size I want to the draw program where I can put in the written description. I suppose photoshop would be a better tool for manipulating the photos but the paint proogram works for me.

• trianglejohn
    17 years ago

I work as a graphic artist and use most of the elite software at my job - and I gave up making fancy signs for the plants I sell on the weekends because it just wasn't worth the amount of time it takes. I grow a broad and ever-changing mix of plants and I grow and sell in small numbers so I need a lot of signs and they need to hold up in the weather since I sell outdoors at either a farmer's market or a flea market. I make my signs about the size of a small postcard so that four of them fit on a sheet of typing paper. The cost of color ink for my printer at home is very high (and my printer won't print unless all the colors are full) so it was eaier and cheaper just to creat the files for the signs on my computer and move the files onto a flash stik and go to the local copy center and print them there on their self service machines ($1 per 8.5 by 11 sheet).

Even though I make one-color-photo-sign per species and laminate them at the same copy center (self serve station which makes it very cheap) in the long run I was spending way too much time and money on signs. They costs me over a dollar per sign. They looked good enough that the customers were always wanting to take them with their purchase, which was whole different problem.

Nowadays I cut color photos out of catalogs or magazines or sometimes I use my own digital photos and paste them on top of sheet of white paper where I have printed the name and info. I either laminate the small sign or cover it with plastic wrap or clear packing tape depending on how many I have to make and how much money I have. I've also simply laminated the seed packet and stuck it on a stick.

I don't know of any inexpensive pre-packaged software that will handle this job.

• moonblooms
    17 years ago

I agree with Triangle John. Computer printed signs are not worth the cost, time, and frustration. I would buy a pack of 3" x 5" index cards (you can find them in great colors), a black sharpie marker (the ink doesn't smear), a pack of craft sticks (popcicle sticks) and some tape. Stick the signs in the pots, or leave off the sticks and attach them with clothes pins. You could laminate them with the self stick laminating sheets that don't need the heat press machine. I would also recommend taking these supplies with you to the market.

• Latebloomer
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks folks for the input and info.I was hopeing there would be a easy uncostly way ,don't look like it...
    Thanks,
    Latebloomer

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    17 years ago

There are a few considerations I used and although I tend to agree with the other posters you can do lots of little things on a computer during the off-season(now) to help with signage.

I have been using baseball card jackets for many years now to help with my display. I glue the spring type wooden or plastic clothespins (boxes, baskets) or longer plastic or wooden posts (herbs, flowers) to the plastic BB card jackets. Then these are repeatedly used with cut cardstock that in some instances have been printed (6/page) using MS Word address label program. You cn also set up a MS Word table template and insert pictures into individual cells of the tables to suit your needs.

Lately I like the Name Badge approach. You can buy clip-on name badges at Office supply centers and also the blank, perforated, cardstock which can be printed using A MS Word available template.

I still just take a marker and make 90+% of my signs on the spot in the last minutes before our market opens. The jackets are neater, especially if you mist your produce or have rainny weather. I'm always reclipping my signs to satisfy customer demands throughout the market day and I hate floppy and unreadable signage.

• raehelen
    17 years ago

Hi, Can't answer the question about software. But I DO make my own signs. I use MS Word for the sign template, and Paint Shop Pro to edit the picture before I insert it into the Word program. If I was paying retail for ink, I don't know if I could afford it. I buy my ink on eBay, and it works out to ~$2 per cartridge, compared to $30-$40 retail. At that price, printing out full-colour pages only cost me pennies, and I bought my own laminator, and I bought the laminating sheets on eBay and at a local liquidator, so they also only cost a few cents a sheet. I then glue the 'card' onto card stock and laminate it. It does take a LOT of time, but for plant stock that you sell each year- once it's done, it's done, reprinting new sheets (cuz they fade in one year), doesn't take as much time as creating the descriptions do.

I get comments on my signs ALL the time- it really helps my sales- I think of it as saving the cost of hiring another employee. Most people like to buy things in bloom, so the picture of course highlights the flower, so I can sell summer blooming plants in spring!

I have also gone through the gamut of figuring out the best stakes to put the signs ON. Right now, I have a few dozen arsty rusted iron sign holders with copper leaves soldered onto the hooks (again, grabbed all that were left at a liquidators- boy I wish I could have bought hundreds- could have SOLD them all to customers over the years!)I hole punch the plastic laminate (not the card stock, or the ink will run when it gets wet)and hang the cards from the hooks. I can quickly take the cards off to pack up at the end of the day if I need to remove the stakes to fit the flats into the van. These stakes work the best for me, as I sell plants in an assortment of sizes, and even small 3 1/2 inch pots can support them. I do have other stakes that have three metal prongs for the base, but these tend to tip over in any pot under a gallon size.

My 'niche' is my expertise, as well as growing 'garden-worthy' perennials, so having good signage is a natural extension of my sales approach. It's hard to sell a perennial that is not in bloom!

I have also gone through various sizes and shapes of signs, I would recommend sizing your sign so that you can fit four signs onto a sheet of card stock, ie your picture and description would have to be smaller so that there is an edge of card stock showing. Again, for me, as I sell perennials, I often feel I have a lack of colour on my tables compared to the annuals and the hanging baskets, so I use brightly colored card stock.

I've forgotten how to post pictures (I know there is a free web-based photo host), so if someone can send me the link to the instructions again, I can post some pics of my signs.

Rae

• Latebloomer
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the great information on signs.Rae thanks for your detailed write up.I'm going to try and put it in action,ofcourse pictures would help.Can you give out on the e-bay sources for ink and other material?
    thanks a bunch,
    latebloomer

• Miss_Mudcat
    17 years ago

Can any of you post pictures of your signs? It would be neat to see what everyone's doing.

• raehelen
    17 years ago

Sure latebloomer,

My source for ink is everydaysource. According to his listings he is the NO. 1 seller on eBay- quite an accomplishment! Prices are unbelievebly low, and I have had no problems with the ink on my Epson printer. I am just now going through a variety of listings for laminating pouches- being in Canada, shipping costs end up being as much or more than the cost of the product. I may have to scout around locally for some better deals!

If anyone would like me to email them a sample of my signs, I can- can't download it to Photobucket, as it is a Word document, not a jpg

• trianglejohn
    17 years ago

My market starts the first weekend in April. If I get everything ready to go I will pose it all in place and snap a few photos to share.

• sandy0225
    17 years ago

I've been buying cheap permanent markers at the Homier tool sales and using them on 3x5 cards. I set the flats of plants on the parking lot, then I take a donut of duct tape and stick the signs to the pavement right in front of the plants. It's low tech, but everyone seems to like it. If you have blue, red, black, you can have a 3 color sign!
    If it's raining, put them in ziplock sandwich bags before taping them down.

• Latebloomer
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sandy, I think I can do your method and afford it to.
    thanks,
    latebloomer

• herbalistic
    15 years ago

I have used Microsoft Publisher for signage. I can insert downloaded digital photos I have taken and print them out. I've tried printing stuff out on cardstock and laminating it but they still get ruined if they get wet. I need to find a better way of coming up with something to attach signs to that keep them more protected and up where people can read them.
    I made an 8x10 page size poster of my Hoya plants I was selling so people could see what the plant looks like in bud and bloom and that seems to help sales. I put the poster in a plastic protective sleeve and duct taped it to the tray of plants.
    I'm thinking of taking a bulletin board but afraid it might end up too "busy".
    I'm also going to print some stuff off onto magnetic sheets that I can just stick on my van.

• mbrown297
    12 years ago

I just purchased some nice and inexpensive signs for my plant sale from someone on etsy.
    The site is: thatartgirl.etsy.com

• reyesuela
    11 years ago

Use a home laminator! Scotch makes a laminator that goes with pouches for 8.5x11" paper that costs $30 for the laminator and about $.15 per page, laminated. Make 4 signs per page at a cost of $.50 in ink plus the $.15 to laminate it, and then you are spending less than $.20 per sign.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

You can also get self laminating sheets in several sizes. I buy mine at Sams for less than $20 for 30, these are full 8 1/2 x 11 sheets. and NO machine needed.

• little_minnie
    11 years ago

Well I steal the extra and older signs and holders from my job at a grocery store. They are 3x5 inches and have plastic holders to put them in. I print them at home on the back of sign stock that is a little dated at the store. It is bright yellow. I have some things laminated.