Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mistee17

I am being asked to grow plants.....

Mistee17
10 years ago

Hi - I, have been asked to grow plants for a land developing company. I ,was given a list of specific plants - 269 to be exact. Some of them I can grow, but some I will have to find and buy. How much should I charge for this entire deal? The company wants, mature plants they can install in a landscape design. Any, help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Mistee

Comments (5)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

It's hard to say. Find out how much you would need to buy them for and charge that or close.

I would get a deposit from them, I did the same deal last year, but for a hoop house grower. I grew tomatoes, peppers, cukes, onions, and squash for him. I even helped him get some plants from a friend at lower than wholesale cost (strictly a friend deal). He had to pay them at time of pickup. I delivered his plants to him, even if I left like the plants were too young (he demanded them at that time). I have yet to be paid. I have contacted him several times and no money yet. Delivered in April, and several times, he said that the money would be in the next week or so.

I'm almost ready to take it to small claims court, only $240, but I sold them at cost. Lost the entire amount.

• cole_robbie
    10 years ago

I'm almost ready to take it to small claims court

You got a contract or receipt, right? You need the paper to prove your case, but if you have that, it sounds simple. One good negotiation tactic is to write up your legal complaint exactly as you would file it and send a copy to the other party before you file it. Their incentive to pay you before you file is that they won't end up having to pay the court fees also. Plus, the document looks intimidating and they know you mean business.

• Mistee17
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi myfamilysfarm - I was sent a list of plants that are needed for their project. I have written up a sort of simple proposal, as I was asked to do. I have requested a prepay/ deposit in it also. I have also added that payment is due upon delivery of the plants. I am looking for a reputable nursery in my area (Texas), to get some of the plants from. I found a nursery that I frequent. I am going to take a list with me and see what they charge for the plants I will need. Then , I will be able to fill in the cost list on my proposal. And give a total for all the plants. I don't know, what else I should put in my proposal. Thank you, Mistee

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Colerobbie, I gave him a bill and kept a copy on my computer. I also have emails with some details. I probably won't do anything, just learn from that mistake.

• sandy0225
    10 years ago

When I grow for someone I don't know I get a 50% deposit up front, with balance due at delivery. And by delivery, I mean before I leave their property if I'm taking the plants to them...then after they're established customers, I'm more flexible with it, depending on if they seem trustworthy to me or not, and how often I see them...lol...if they won't do that, then they aren't really customers anyway, they are time wastes and potentially a waste of your hard earned money. Especially if you are buying things to sell to them, get your money first, at least enough to break even if you have to end up trying to sell the plants when they don't take them.

Sponsored