Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gingertn

? about selling to restaurants

gingertn
20 years ago

I'm planning to type up a proposal letter to give to a restaurant that I would like to sell veggies to this summer. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me. Also, do you need to have a license, tax id or anything like that just to sell a small amount of produce? I'm only starting w/ the one place just to get my feet wet. I guess I should call someone at the city hall and ask them about local and state laws? If anyone can give me any advice I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

ginger

Comments (8)

• ohiorganic
    20 years ago

It is best to go in with samples of what you have. The best time to visit is after lunch around 2:30 in the afternoon. The chef is generally in the restaurant than and not too busy.

you do not need any special tax ID's or licesing to do this.

A letter may be read and than will be tossed a way and forgotten.

the other thing you can do is meet the chef now and ask what is needd and in what amounts and than plant accordingly.

• gingertn
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks for the info!

ginger

• Inacio
    20 years ago

Better yet, send the chef, (Know his or her name) a basket of 'samples' and follow up with a phone call or visit. Do this well before your growing season as 'chef' may have some special requests which you may be able to provide.

Food point-(as a former chef) DO NOT visit during lunch or dinner rush. Two thirty is a good time, but always call first.

The produce should sell itself-we're always looking for organic (if possible), fresh, tasy product with 'eye appeal'
    Good luck-let me know how it goes as I will be in your boat next year.

• Mark
    20 years ago

First thing, be proud of what you have to offer. Any resturant should be honored that you are growing especially for them. Some chefs I've dealt with have attitudes and want to treat you like a wholesaler, don't deal with them, it's not worth selling yourself for cheap. Compose a list of what you will have, when you think you will have it and how much it will cost, bring a sample if you can. Usually they will just say bring some in when it's ready. If you have surplus at harvest time don't hesitate to walk in to another resturant during a quiet time with a box and ask if they want to buy it. Know how much you want before hand. We work our butts off and should be paid fairly for our labor, a proud positive attitude goes a long way with resturant sales. Good luck

• imtoobusy
    19 years ago

Ginger,

I have a meeting with a chef on Monday at a local gourmet restaurant. I am wondering how it went for you last year?

For anyone else who wants to chime in- I have made a table with all of my seeds on it- including pictures and product description of each item- to bring with me. I am going to let him know that I am still a small operation and I can fill some of his needs this year and expand next year. What advice do you have to offer?

• GrassIsEvil
    19 years ago

I don't know whether Ginger will respond. One thing to add that is in Tennessee if you're selling to the public, wholesale or retail (excluding yardsales and the like), you do need a license.

I send a letter, introducing myself, listing what I grow, when it will be available. I include details I think will sell the product, i.e., firm flesh; red-fleshed, but lower acid; less bitter than X variety. I list my prices (these should be the highest you'll charge anyone), along with the notation that those prices are for single units, that lower prices are available based upon quantities and length of commitment (or a flat ten percent discount or whatever).

I include photographs. If the yellow tomato has a pink center, show that. Show whatever detail you think will sell. If you have lots of tomatoes in different colors show them in a basket together, and then show them sliced and attractively arranged on a platter together. (Don't waste the tomatoes; take pictures of the tomatoes you're taking to the Fourth of July picnic.) If you're selling to a 'down-home' restaurant, take a picture of your tomatoes and corn on a table with a dish of fried chicken beside them. If you don't have photographs when you start your business, begin collecting them as you can.

I ask for an appointment.

If I don't hear, in a week, I follow up with a telephone call, again asking for an appointment. After lunch is usually good, as has been said. I recommend not just dropping in.

Take samples when you go. If you don't have samples, you might consider offering to deliver a dozen or a basket or whatever for the chef to try. DO NOT TAKE ONLY THE MOST PERFECT SPECIMENS. Take what you'll be selling; if the chef expects only that original perfection, you'll be in trouble.

You'll probably want to start small, supplying a few things, that you know you can reliably supply according to your agreement. You can always expand. If, for instance, you supply fresh herbs, and next week you'll have sweet corn, you can always offer to include that.

I've bought and sold, and my main piece of advice is--stand by your word. If you tell me some weeks you'll have tomatoes and some weeks you won't, that's one thing. If I want to buy your tomatoes, I can make plans for the weeks you won't have them. If you're supposed to bring tomatoes every week and I rely on that, the first week you don't I'm going to be very unhappy. The next time you miss, you'll be forever out of my life.

Ray

• breezyb
    19 years ago

You guys have great ideas! I accidentally started a new thread on this topic - meant to post it here. If you have anything to add to my questions, please check out the new thread if you have time. Thanks!

• imtoobusy
    19 years ago

Ray- great advice, thanks so much! I plan on being very upfront with him. My DH is very much of the mind that we should promise the moon but I am VERY concerned about not being able to deliver if we over promise. I plan on letting him know that we have very high quality but I can only grow a few crops for him this year. I am at a level now that I can only promise that "sometimes I will have it and sometimes I won't." I don't have enough experience to promise the moon!!

Sponsored