Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chester5731

Plastic mulch layer

chester5731
14 years ago

I am starting to build a plastic mulch layer. I have seen and used ones with a roller that goes over the plastic as it is unrolling. I have also seen some without a roller. Does it make that much difference? Anyone use one without a roller?

Comments (17)

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

I don't have one, but would be interested in seeing what you are creating. I think a roller would help make sure that the plastic was laid down evenly. Will you post some pictures?

• chester5731
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It will be a little while before there is enough to post pictures of. When I get that far I will try.

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Great, if you can give an idea of cost, it would be helpful. I've been thinking about one, but the cost has been beyond my means. Plus I'm not sure if I really want to use the plastic mulch. I hate to buy something, and find out that I don't like it and will only use it once.

• chester5731
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Of course I am not done yet, but I am guessing around $400. It started life as two john deere cultivators, a john deere plow and an IH cultivator, blended with a few new pieces.

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

I need a cultivator to fit either a wide-front Massey Harris or a narrow front AC D15. You must be lucky enough to have a scrap pile around. You're in MI, right? If you have something that might fit for me, hook me up.

• prmsdlndfrm
    14 years ago

Marla Brown County , Gnaw Bone, There is a tractor scrap yard with everything you need.
    Chester the roller is a necesity, also dont forget the edges need buried at least 6 inches deep, and if the mulch isnt tight your wasting your time.
    josh

• chester5731
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Josh.

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Is Gnaw Bone the town, or the name of the scrap yard? We have a guy near here that has alot of old equipment, but you can never get ahold of him and he's never home when I show up.

My dad and grandma had all that equipment when they were still farming, but at that time, I was in FL and never gave a thought to veggie farming.

• prmsdlndfrm
    14 years ago

Gnawbone is a small town east of Nashville, and west of Columbus on hi way 46
    josh

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

Chester the roller is a necesity, also dont forget the edges need buried at least 6 inches deep, and if the mulch isnt tight your wasting your time.
    josh

Text generator

Sure Josh, now you tell me. I'll also probably have weeds growing down the slits.

70 Seascape strawberry plants on this bed.
    Eric

• prmsdlndfrm
    14 years ago

Bad news Eric, that will not work, before your plants are up and running, you will need to stretch and tighten the plastic, the edges need buried at least 6 inches so no wind can lift it, if the wind lifts it after your strawberries are tillering you will lose some crop, also the weeds can and will grow under a loose film.
    josh

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

I tried that way, Eric. weeds grew from under the plastic. Evidently they got just enough light to grow. Plus if a wind picks up, your plastic will tear by the concrete blocks, or just pull out. Maybe you don't have the wind that Josh and I have. the plastic under the row cover might survive, since it will be protected from the wind. You're better off laying the plastic down over the entire area, and then cutting Xs for the plants. They don't get as much moisture unless you have drip tape under the plastic.

Marla

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

I went for the slits because I don't have the T-tape. I was hoping I could lay the water lines down the slits when it arrives. Things get a little screwed up when thay are not done in order.

Do you cover the plastic with anything? Straw? or do you just allow the berries to sit on the plastic.

Eric

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Personally I would put some straw down. My strawberries grow thru a light covering of straw. Plus the straw mulch will help keep the weeds easier to pull.

• prmsdlndfrm
    14 years ago

Dont put the straw down till summer if you want earlier berries, the straw will cool the plastic down, bare black plastic absorbs heat and heats up the soil faster, but in summer it will get to hot, unless you plant the berries thicker as I do, and then the leaves shade the plastic. The only draw back with plastic and berries is that they cannot successfully runner so you have to plant twice as many berries.
    josh

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

I was wondering about the runners. No where for them to set roots. Maybe I can snip and pot up for sale. Soooo much to learn.

Eric

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

My berries had LOTS of runners this last year. We don't use plastic. We do mulch the strawberries with straw in the late fall, and then pull the mulch back off of the plants in the spring. This last year, our runners set off runners of their own.

If there's any under all our snow.

Sponsored