Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nikki1977_gw

Certification for selling potted plants

nikki1977
12 years ago

I sold at the farmers market last year and would like to sell again this year. I'm going to try to sell potted plants and herbs. I hear you have to have a greenhouse certificate to do so. Does that mean you have to have an actual greenhouse? There was a man at the market last year that sold potted plants and did not have a greenhouse. I start my seeds indoors in my garage. But if that's not okay I could always just start the plants outside. Is that right? Any details from those of you who sell potted plants would be so helpful! Thanks everyone!

Comments (10)

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

Not in Indiana, just a retail merchant certificate. Costs $25 for lifetime of business. This will allow you to collect and submit sales tax to the state of Indiana. It also allows you to 'not' pay sales tax on seeds and plants that you buy for retail.

ALL plants in Indiana are taxable, no matter 'where' you grew them. Mostly likely if plants are taxable, then it won't make a difference where you grew them.

If you should collect sales tax, then DON'T mess with the government, eventually they will catch you and then the penalties would be outrageous.

Marla

• marketgal
    12 years ago

In Utah you don't need a certification or a green house. I start all my plants in my house and move them out into hotboxes around May 1st. I say if you can get them to grow big and bushy grow them any where you can.

• gourddy
    12 years ago

In NY the first thing you need is a Certificate of Authority to collect sales tax. Then you need to get a Nursery Registration Certificate which is a nursery license.

You do not need an actual greenhouse but the state(Dept. of Ag.) will inspect your plants wherever you keep them.

What state are you in?

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

I need to add to my previous post.

If you are propagating woody stemed plants, then you need a Nursery license and then you will be inspected.

You will need to check your state's rules.

Marla

• nikki1977
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm in East TN. Maryville to be exact. Our market here seems to be very strict and only allow to sell produce, meat, eggs, etc. No crafts or art. I understand that they don't want to be a big flea market since they are a non profit market. But I really wish they would allow at least some crafts made mostly from the garden. I didn't make much money last year, I only sold cut flowers and herbs and some random veggies. I've been brainstorming and trying to find a loophole to sell some of my garden crafts. So I decided to sell potted plants. I'll mostly sell potted herbs and probably some tomatoes and peppers. I had an idea to sell herb mix baskets....baskets with 3 or 4 different types of herbs in them. And mini fairy garden baskets for the kids. I'll prob plant some sage or thyme in those and make a little walking path out of glass beads. I was going to try to sneak in fairy wands (just a stick with a ribbon and a zinnia attached to it) :) I don't see why I couldn't sell those. I hope I can get this certificate or I fear I won't make much money again this year. The people around here seem to be scared off by different herbs LOL

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

If you think they're afraid of herbs, it's probably that they don't know them. I know myself, I don't use many herbs MAINLY because I don't know how to use them.

Samples are a good thing, if allowed.

Marla

• teauteau
    12 years ago

I sell tomato, pepper and eggplant plants. In Kansas, you do not need a permit per se, unless you have sales over $10,000 and then I think the fee was something like $60. You should check with your county extension agent or your State Department of Agriculture. They will tell you what you need to do.

• bi11me
    12 years ago

First step is your state Dept of Ag. Then Business licensing. Then Insurance. Your Extension Service may also have good information on the rules and regulations.

Here is a link that might be useful: TN Dept. of Ag.

• nikki1977
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you guys. I almost forgot about this post. So I found out that I can sell edible annuals without having to pay the $100 greenhouse certification fee. If I was to sell perennials then I would have had to pay. The Dept of Ag came down to check things out and actually suggested selling only annual edibles this year (since my 'greenhouse' is so tiny) and see how things go.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

Thanks nikki1977, others in your state will be able to use what you found out.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?