Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmy_21

Thinking outloud...ideas?

farmy_21
16 years ago

Hello, I'm 19 yrs old and live in NE IA. I'm in a wheelchair and am wanting to start a market garden. I have had small veggie gardens in the past. Usually I plant one every couple years. Why I don't plant one every year, I don't know. lol kinda odd?!?

For the last couple years I've always wanted to raise produce and sell it. This year I'd like to make it happen. I have several things on my side to help my venture...

1. A vacant patch of land. Not real big, but I wanna start small...Then grow.

2. My family has a nursery, so I have plants available.

3. My family has a shop, so I have an outlet to sell.

Now you're thinking "haha right he's in a wheelchair forget." Yes, I am but I don't see why I can't do it. I have a neighbor with a HUGE garden, and has a little tractor w/ a plow, disc, spring tooth, etc that has tilled the garden for me before. I have friends/family to help me plant. I'm kind of a independent person and like doing things myself though. In previous years I've planted the garden rows far enough apart to fit my chair between them, then I can drag the push more down and mow the weeds. Where I can drive, but this blows the grass in the beds. Promoting weed growth GRRR! So my problem is controlling the weeds. I have little upper body strength so hoeing wont work. So how can I get rid of the weeds?

1. I've seen plastic in rows and plants growing in it through holes.

2. I've thought of using a mobile chicken coop between rows so the eat the weeds, but the weeds still grow in the plants. We also have an abundance of coons that could eat the chickens and batch that idea.

Whats your advice on weed control? I don't mind mowing, but hate the fact it reseeds in the plants. Would a reel mower work?

Any other advice would be appreciated!

Comments (5)

Sponsored