Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jcatblum_gw

E-Z up options?

jcatblum
12 years ago

I hear everyone rave about the E- up. Locally I bought a 12x12 Ez-Up Sierra II, blue in color. (They are on sale for $95 at Big5 sporting goods) Without opening the box I can't tell how well it is made. Anyone have expierence with this model?

Sams club has the white one, with 2 sides & an awning for $199. I was leaning towards this option, depending on the time of day shelter from the side will be a plus.

Also Academy Sports has the Red & orange 10x10 in the same model for $50 on their website. When I am in OKC this weekend I will see if they happen to have them in stock.

I personally didn't want the red or orange, figure it will not be the most appealing to the eye.

Those of you who have been using shelters for a while, what would you pick to start with?

Comments (39)

• juventuscadillac
    12 years ago

The sierra II are really good starter canopies, can go wrong with either of them. Academy has the 10x10 for $50.

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

The white ones at Sams are the only way to go, IF you plan on using it much.

I've had 5 now over the last 13 years, 2 being the cathedral trusses (DON'T get them, if you can help it) and 3 with the traditional cross truss design. The cross truss designed ones will out-last the cathedral one 2x as long.

The cheaper versions of EZUp and others are not made for the heavy duty wear and tear that a market will give it. I've bought them in the past and returned them within 2 weeks due to inadequate strength.

Yes you can get by with them, BUT why spend $50-100 every year or two, when you can spend $200 and be able to not have to replace it for 5-10x longer?????

BTW, you can buy parts for the Sams ones, if need be. But the tops are as expensive as a whole new one. That's one of the reasons that I've had so many of them. The older style of top wasn't as thick as the ones that are being sold now, and I've had to stitch and clip my together in the past.

I would recommend to reinforce the very top of the canopy top, it takes most of the stress.

One vendor at my former market, has had his EzUp for 20 years, it was NOT one of the cheaper ones, and he took care of it. He's been using the same canopy and top for all of those years.

Keep in mind that the canopy is a tax deduction, so in the long run, it doesn't costs you and it does make a difference in keeping your produce look fresh for longer. The white will reduce the temperatures 10-20 degrees during the heat of the day.

Marla

• little_minnie
    12 years ago

Which prodeuct at Sam's is it exactly? I need a new one again this spring. I have had some bad luck with them.

• henhousefarms
    12 years ago

We have a pair of the 12x12 Sierra's and are somewhat indifferent about them. I use them at our Richland Market which is on an open parking lot with zero shade. We went with the 12X12's to get a little more coverage (which they do). They are heavy, and the bags are a joke (lasted a couple of weeks). They do catch a lot of wind - the first thing that we do when the tents go up is tie them down to concrete blocks. We lost one to the wind last year (not our fault - the neighbor's tent went and got tangled taking both). However, there is a weakness in them. When you unfold it for the first time look at the folding trusses that open between the posts. On ours there is no brace from the truss to the ridge. On a calm day it's no problem but when the wind starts blowing the truss starts to deflect on the windward side. The harder the wind blows the more the deflection until the truss fails and the members bend. Our work around is pretty simple but can be a pain. We tie a line from the back of the westward truss (as that is the way the wind usually comes out of there) back to the truck and trailer. As this is behind the stand and away from the customers it does not hamper the flow of traffic (although I have been clotheslined a couple times getting something out of the truck). If the wind is coming out of a different quarter I try to tie either to a mellon wagon or worst case to another block. This can put the lines out where the customers are so I always flag them well.

We also have a pair of 10x10's we use downtown (the markets run at the same time) but in a city park with lots of shade and wind protection. They are older models and much heavier duty (and cost more) but are much better units. They have a different style of side truss and have a brace to the center of the top. Never had a problem with them bowing inward. They are a litle stiff (some spray silicon helps worlds) to put up and the tops are starting to show their age and at some point will need to be replaced.

I think you will like the 12X12's just be aware there are some tricks to getting them to work well. Marla's right about the Sam's tents being better (pretty sure that's where our 10X10's came from) but since you have them use them and if at some time in the future you need to replace them you'll have a better idea as to what to expect.

Tom

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

Minnie, If I remember right, it's called Eclipse. In Lafayette, IN, it runs just less than $200.00 plus tax. It comes with side curtains, (I don't use) and it does weigh about 45 lbs, which isn't light weight, but it does hold up. I also don't use the bag that comes with it, takes too long to put in the bag. Another vendor uses the bags regularly, she puts hers on top of her luggage rack.

Be sure to get the cross-truss, which is what Sams are carrying now. The open-truss, cathedral, style bows like described by Tom.

A can of WD40 helps with the legs getting rough to slide, 1-2 doses per year is all it takes.

Mine are all 10x10 because all of my stands only allow 10' wide and barely that.

Sams used to carry the cathedral style, but had lots of complaints and now only carry the cross-truss style, that's what I heard a few years ago.

Be sure to tied them now, alot of our vendors use PVC pipe filled with hooks on one end with bungee cords. I use old window weights, 2x per corner, attached with bungees long enough to hide behind my tables. That's on 2 sides and then I attach the canopy to my vehicle on the other 2 sides.

I also, DON"T attach the top to the frame. I've had a situation that all of the vendors had to drop their canopies quickly. Most couldn't do it, I just lowered it and stripped the top off, then carried on business.

I strongly recommend the Sams version of the EZUp, and nothing else.

Marla

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

I suggest that you buy one that you can get parts for, just in case. I've saved the bolts, tops and other parts from the cheaper, cathedral ceiling ones, to use as parts for my other canopies. I also keep parts for others at the market as an emergency repair.

Marla

• little_minnie
    12 years ago

I actually don't like the ones with the really pointy top. It seems more out there than the shallower ones. I have bought I believe 4 $100 tents off ebay in 4 years. My favorite was taken out in a windstorm where almost every vendor lost their canopy. Thank God no one was hurt. My SIL had been in my booth 2 minutes before and I told her to go. Anyway the $100 ebay ones have mostly been untrussed and last 1 season. I have need something light and easy because I am alone. I hardly ever have anyone pull on the opposite side while I am setting up. wah

However last year's was exceptionally weak! It was pretty much crap from the moment I took it out of the bag. It lost a screw instantly and had about 1/2 inch overlap on the legs when pulled out! It was excessively weak. I still have it and it is somewhat functional but lost several screws and the one button got lost inside the leg forever so I use a screw thing to put it up. I will use it as a backup. I also have the one from the time before that I keep for spare parts. I have 3 tops and at least 2 sets of sides. I like the navy blue tops because they seem shadier.

So now I need to buy a new one. I do like the one at Sam's (website)- the one with the space for a banner. I almost bought that elsewhere last spring but instead went for the $100 ebay thing again. poop

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

I still would recommend the Sams EZUp, The boxes at Sams are heavier and more awkward than the canopy alone. I can set mine up by myself, it is easier with 2 people.

I forgot about the banner/sunshade option, I haven't used that either. The white ones are actually cooler than the blue ones. Plus I found out that blue can make peaches and other fruit look not ripe. the white ones can get dirty easier, but you can take the top off and run it thru the washing machine on gentle.

I won't ever go back to anything but the Sams EZUp. If you check the sams website, they are probably much cheaper than EZUps own website. They are commercial grade, not the 'homeowner' grade.

If you have a Sams nearby, buy it there or get free shipping, because the shipping will be very high.

Minnie, Save the tops from your old ones, they might fit your next ones.

Marla

• little_minnie
    12 years ago

I definitely save all the tops. Then if they get wet, ripped, dirty or whatever it is covered. Although the last one I got was a titch bigger at the top and didn't fit the other tops. I have white and navy. One navy has white scalloped edges. I use the sides on hot, calm days on the west and south sides. I don't handle heat very well and have a little cordless fan too.
    http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod711059&navAction=&_requestid=287172
    is this the product? Will I be happy with it? I am cheap!

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

Yes, that one is like mine, except they have now added some waterproofing at the seams (the first place that they leak, camping waterproofing fixes).

I think you'll be happy.

Instead of the roller bag, which does make it easier instead of carrying, I use a 55 gal plastic garbage bag. I don't have to carry mine much, maybe 10-20 ft at a time. If I did, I'd attach it to a dolly that I have.

You're not cheap, no more than I, just cost conscience. We all have to be to make it.

On line I think it's a few pennies without shipping.

PS. If you use plastic T-shirt bags, Sams is the cheapest in my area for them. The saving on the bags alone will pay my membership. Anyone with a business card can get a business membership at a lower price than normal.

Marla

• andreaz6wv
    12 years ago

The market I have been a part of has a big permanent canopy. Probably 100 feet long and many feet high. I guess I hadn't realized how nice it was having this, so I didn't have to buy a canopy.

I don't know how much something like that would cost, but it could be worthwhile checking into it, if your market is located where something like this could be done.

Everyone could contribute for the purchase?

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

My former market was 1 street, both sides, so the permanent canopy wouldn't work. I've visited markets with the permanent awnings, and they do seem nice. I don't think there are too many with permanent canopies.

The markets that I'm at now, all have other purposes during off-market times.

Marla

• sandy0225
    12 years ago

I have used the same one for 3-4 years now, it's just the cheap "first up" ones from Walmart. I think I paid $79 for it back then.
    I have found from experience we can't leave it put up at the house (broke one that way before we got a steel carport for a farm stand), too much wind at unpredictable times. But if you ever break one, save it for parts. We have used our spare parts to fix the one we are still using a few times so far. It seems like the little bolts work their way loose over time and you then tend to lose one or two. Not a problem now--because now we have a couple of complete bolts and an allen wrench in a baggie that we taped up to the frame so we always have it with us when we go to market in case of emergency. If one falls out, and we don't find it, we just put in the spare real quick and problem solved. Go to your market and see what kind most of the people have, and ask them if they have any spare parts they'd give you and then buy the one you can get some spare parts for. Chances are, someone will help you out!

• jcatblum
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions! I looked at all the options & am going to splurge on the $199 canopy from Samsclub. Main reason is the legs. They have imporved the canopy & there are now feet that you can set weights directly on. 20-30 MPH winds is normal here & when I think this will be a HUGE help in anchoring the canopy. Sams website doesn't show the new feet on the legs, but the ones in my local store have feet & shows a picture of a cooler on 1 foot & a 5 gal water bottle on another foot. (I don't think EZ-up called the new feature feet, just my best word to describe them)

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

The legs have been able to add weights for years. I don't use the leg weights, I have window weights out of old windows and hang them with bungee cords to the length that places them just below my tables. The bag weights, I've found people trip over them. Of course, people also walk right into the bright white legs or anything that is in their way.

The 'feet' are pads and mine aren't big enough for anything to 'sit' on them.

If you can place your canopy where you can attach it directly to your vehicle and use weights on the other 2 sides, the 20-30 mph won't be as bad. Standing alone, even with 2 concrete blocks on each leg, the canopy will lift. Believe I've done it.

Another thing with the Sams canopy, the legs are straight up and down, versus angled. With the straight legs, your canopy covers the entire area that the legs are the corners of.

I think you'll be happy.

Marla

• boulderbelt
    12 years ago

jcatblum, if you get such high winds you really need to get an Eclipse EZUp or stronger, anything else will be too weak.

Also, if you tail-gate it is far better to secure your shelter to your vehicle than to weights as I have seen shelters go air born in 35mph gusts that had well over 100 pounds hanging from them.

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

The Sams' one in my area are Eclipse, hopefully same in your area.

I also DON"T attach the top with the screws, just the velcro, that way, I can detach the top from the frame and prevent the kiting. I've had to do just that at one market, then went to save other peoples.

There were 3 of us at market at that time, we lowered the canopy (all the tables fit INSIDE of the canopy footprint). Removed the top, then raised the frame back up and 2 of us started waiting on customers again. Took just a few moments.
    After that, I don't attach the top with the screws.

Marla

• brookw_gw
    12 years ago

You might also check out Cabela's. They frequently have them on sale. I noticed them last night for $79.99. I frequently check out their "Bargain Cave" for lots of useful things.

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

Brook, are you sure they're EZUps, there is a BIG difference. I have seen one from Costco, not an EZUp, can't recommend it since the person was a new vendor that was at my market for 1 day and then quit.

I won't buy anything but a EZUp commercial canopy.

Marla

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Do you have to have a Sam's membership to get the business pricing on the tent? I have BJ's membership, they have the "EX2S10BJWHRB7A" model 10x10 but only review says it's cheaply made. I don't know if it's got the truss system or not. Is this the same model Sam's has?

I did buy an EZ Up last year but it was so heavy I returned it and made do without (just a big hat) until last day of market when it was threatening rain.

I wish I'd seen this thread b4 buying one in a panic last day of market last year (and didn't even use that day). I spent $60 on an off-brand (looked kind of like the red one on Lucy's blog) and it didn't last a month. Last night it collapsed in a heavy rain (I kept trying to dump water out of the top but then started packing up and as I was putting things in the truck and getting soaked to the skin it collapsed - bent at top of legs, couple struts broke, no way to fold it, had to finish packing, drive home 7 miles, unpack the bed, change into dry clothes and head back. By the time I got back everyone except 1 vendor had left, she helped me pick up the wreckage and get it into the truck (hanging out with orange tape on the ends).

No sales in the hour I was at market (whole market only had about 6 customers the first hour, starts at 3). At 5pm a regular came by and asked to buy a loaf of bread from bakery (she had just finished packing her truck but got one out), and I think out of pity bought a bag of salad mix from me (I left the cooler in the truck just in case, brought the 30-gal bins with plants home).

Here is a link that might be useful: BJ's EZ Up

• rustico_2009
    11 years ago

I think the sam's club canopy could be a caravan or similar? Anyway I got my Caravan last year on Amazon for $169 w/ free shipping. I can see that it's a decent step up from anything that I have seen that is cheaper. The top seems fairly rugged and I have heard that the metal parts are available if replacements are needed. Sorry if someone else mentioned this..can't read the whole thread.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Shelter Logic is based in Watertown CT, not too far from me, and I think owner of the greenhouse I've been working with mentioned they have a yearly "tent sale". Gotta find out when that is. I told him today I lost my canopy last night, but forgot that he had said something earlier this summer. I'll call him next week and ask if he knows anything.

Are Shelter Logic good canopies? Not any cheaper than EZ Up on the website, but if they have a "half-off" sale (may not be til end of summer) might be worth it. I just don't want to buy a cheap one again.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

The one pictured looks like the EZ Up that I have. I don't use the side curtain, which is what the reviewer was complaining about.

I've seen Shelter Logic's tent online, but can't comment on them since I haven't had one.

The ones at MY Sams are EZUps and only EZUps, Eclipse is the best style, with center trusses NOT cathedral style trusses.

I've noticed that not many of these canopies go on the 1/2 price sale since they are used by so many. Most of the 1/2 price stuff is stuff that doesn't sell, odd colors or damaged. Don't buy a damaged one, thinking you might be able to 'fix' it, it will cost more than buying one good one.

There is one vendor at the market that I used to go that has he EZUp for over 15 years and still going strong. Of course, you can't buy the same style and it is super heavy, unlike the 40# style now.

You can order the EZUp online from EZUP.com or ebay, I haven't looked at Amazon, but expect to pay quite abit for shipping.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

This is what I originally got last year and it was so heavy (in the box) I couldn't lift it. I'm assuming the cardboard doesn't weigh that much. But maybe if DS comes to every market with me (I don't know what I'll do in Sept), he can handle it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Express II - for about $20 more than last year

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

There is alot of weight that isn't the canopy itself. Been there. By the time you take out the stakes, weight bags, 4 side-walls (you really don't need them) and the banner and banner sticks, you'll lose alot of weight. You get all of that at Sams for about $200. The cardboard probably weighs 20 pounds by itself, it's really heavy cardboard.

The one you linked is the right one, but you don't get the extras.

I can barely lift the box from Sams, but I can handle the canopy without all the extras, the box is SO awkward, it makes it really hard to handle. With just the canopy in it's rolling bag, it is much easier.

Plus think of the muscles you will build. It weighs alittle more than a full box of tomatoes, and less than 1 bushel of tomatoes or apples.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

I don't think the one at Job Lot includes stakes and banners, I know it doesn't include sidewalls or weights for $130. Sam's includes all that? BJ's doesn't. Hmmm, should see where there's a Sam's in this state and if they offer free 1-day trials like BJ's - might be worth a 100+ mile round trip one day. But even 20 lbs of cardboard would lighten the load if I got the one from Job Lot - I never took it out of the box.

I have a medical condition that requires I not strain myself (going back in August, will ask the dr what weight limit is, I'm hoping he says 30 lbs and not 10 lbs!) so even if I CAN lift it, I shouldn't. That's part of the reason for the problem I've got - too much heavy lifting over my life (hay bales as a teenager, then Nautilus after college, and lots of building materials over the last 20 years as a homeowner, now back to hay bales LOL!). I'll likely need surgery later this year and then might be restricted even more.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

It looks like Sam's is specially made for them by EZ up (see link) and it only includes the awning, name banner, stakes and roller bag. The Job Lot Express II includes the stakes and roller bag only, but Sam's might be a little sturdier, can't tell if it's really their Pro grade like the Eclipse (it's a lot cheaper than the Eclipse, more like the Express on EZ Up's website). Job Lot uses the Eclipse II picture on their website (linked above) but says it's an Express II so it's not commercial grade, though it is fire resistant (not sure about my old canopy, new market I might go to next year specifies fire dept-approved shelters only).

If it's just as sturdy (looks like same 2-yr warranty) then I don't think the awning and name banner are worth the extra $70, the drive and the Sam's membership (if they don't have a free trial).

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Oh, and it looks like Sam's and BJ's have the same thing, at least they have the same picture and offer the same pacakge for the same price, I don't know about the EZUP website that lists "Sam's Club replacement parts", maybe they give all the clubs the same price.

Is this the proper design?

Another concern - a lot of the reviews from females say the Sam's club (and I assume any one of these) are heavy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sam's Club structure?

• boulderbelt
    11 years ago

The Sam's Club is a Truss system and not the flimsy Cathedral system

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

You want the Express if you can find it.

Yes, Sams club have days that people can 'test drive' the store. Actually, just buying the T-shirt bags for 1 year, the savings will pay for your membership. $35 for business members, to be a business membership you must have either a business license OR a business card, very simple.

I have told exactly how a 56-year old, very over-weight woman handles this canopy in previous posts, I can't tell you again.

If you are planning on being in this business, the Sams Club canopy is the ONE you want to get, it will last several years.

You DON'T the cathedral style, yes it's higher in the center, but it's about worthless, IMHO.

Marla

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

If you have back problems like you described, this is not a business for you. Sorry.

You will not find a decent canopy that weighs less than 30 pounds, just junk that will not last. Perhaps you need to 'create' a tarp tent. Don't know how you are set up at market, whether you drive a truck/van/car or anything. I have a friend that has stock racks on her truck, which they attached a open roof frame covered with tarps, they hold it up with extension poles. Works off the side of the truck, looks tacky, but works.

BTW, those Sams canopies are not as heavy as a bale of hay, but probably more than dry straw, less than wet straw. I'm talking about regular size square bales.

I also have back problems, unfortunately for me, unfixable (RA), so I can relate. Getting older isn't easy, especially if you haven't taken care of yourself (like me).

Marla

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

I don't really know what the Sam's or BJ's ones are, the structure is shown in the link on ezup4u.com. Is that a cathedral with the single pole sticking up from the trusses? Since the BJ's one is the same (at least they use the same picture) and we have a BJ's membership I'd get it there, Sam's is quite a drive.

The Job Lot one is definitely an Express II, I've seen the boxes in their stores.

I had an MRI last week, go for more tests in a couple of weeks and then dr visit in August, we'll see what he says about weight limits and surgery. It's not my back (though I did have JRA and have some joint damage, esp. my hips), I may have to use smaller containers to harvest into, think I can work around it as long as he doesn't say something ridiculous like 10 lb limit (a bag of groceries weighs more than that!).

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

The one with the pole up the center, is the one you want.

I understand the pain of 10# limit, you can't pick up anything. I like to use 2 gal buckets that I get from the grocery store bakery dept. Their icing comes in them. Re-use them one more time before the land=fill (or several more times). Plus they are food-grade.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Thanks for the email Marla. Yes, I use the 2-lb buckets (I have 1 from icing and 1 from olives, use them for fermenting but they worked well for lettuce). Found out last summer I can't lift a 5-gal bucket up and over the lip of a 55-gal rain barrel - part of the problem is I'm only 5'2" (used to be 5'3"+ but I'm shrinking). I can carry a 5-gal bucket with water and lettuce I've been using for harvesting, I only have to lift it over the edge of the utility sink, but dr may tell me to not use that big a bucket at all. I figured I'd put potatoes, tomatoes, etc. in some plastic "underbed" boxes I bought, maybe 2x3, if those are too heavy I have stacking bins that are like ventilated dishpans.

• jcatblum
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just wanted to follow up. I purchased the Sams Club EzUp ($199) with leg weights from Walmart.com ($24 I think). The leg weights are great because they velcro onto the leg & set on the foot plates that Ez-Up began including with sams canopys this yr.
    Everyone with older ezups notice the new foot plates & say they wish they had some like that. I have helped a few people set up the cheaper style canopy & don't regret for a minute splurging! The legs are so tiny on the cheap models.
    We don't put our canopy back in the bag, instead I wrap a table cloth around it & throw it in the van. It is me & DD14 DD12 setting up & breaking down each day, so the bag is a pain. I think the zipper should go the length of the bag & that would help alot!

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

I did buy the Express II at Job Lot for $130, got weight bags on Freecycle (2 sidewalls as well), I just bungee the bags to the frame and set them on the (small) feet. It's pretty heavy (50 lb) for me, heck the bags are pretty heavy too esp. when wet but my almost-14 yo DS has been helping me at market and we're pretty good at getting it up, better at taking it down though we do need to "hug" it to slip the bag all the way down over the top. The lay it in the bed with feet sticking over tailgate to zip it up.

Haven't had it out in heavy rain yet - was thinking about it today for family reunion, good thing I didn't bring it b/c 5 canopies (2 of them cheap ones like the 1 I lost last month) collapsed before we could get the covers off and get them folded, a Sierra II ended up on the roof of the shed. But the guys held a tarp over the pig and finished roasting. All of us who were outside helping with pig and canopies (no one was under them yet, people were still on porch and in kitchen) had to spend the entire time outside in wet clothes, have people bring us plates out (and take the pork in after the guys cut it in the shed). Glad to get home and get in some dry clothes.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

Ajsmama, yes 'hugging' is the best way that I've found to squeeze it.

I didn't use the canopy bag much, too much hassle at end of 6 hr markets. I used a 55 gal HD garbage bag, just big enough to cover the white canopy.

I'm glad you invested more into a better one, you'll be happier. Just remember, if it get rains on (not around here this year), remember to set it back up on a dry day asap. One fellow sets his wet canopy up in his pole barn to dry. The tops will mold, and then looks terrible.

Marla

• alenboder
    11 years ago

Our gardens are essential for plant growth.This site has received various techniques.I took advantage of it.This site is so interesting for us.our Awnings also create shade for gardens.We provide all kinds of awnings. Our awning is a secondary covering attached to the exterior wall of a Gardens..

Here is a link that might be useful: Awnings also create shade for gardens

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

alenboder, what does your post have to do with EZup portable canopies? I don't see any portable canopies on your suggested site. Maybe if you have a permanent stand.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH