Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brookw_gw

pre-emergent herbicides

brookw_gw
14 years ago

Since my field has been a woefully neglected hay field forever, I know I'm in for bad weed problems. What pre-emergents would you recommend?? Brands?? Granular/liquid? I will use some plastic and some natural mulch, but I know pre-emergents are in order. I've investigated Treflan a little, but all the farm suppliers know nothing about vegetable and fruit crops.

Thanks,

Brook

Comments (17)

• prmsdlndfrm
    14 years ago

Treflan is a good pre-emergent, but Devrinol is a little safer for vegetables and fruit. You will have to weed seeded crops until they are up and established then mix your chemical and spray over the crop. On transplants you can spray the day after. Treflan is a root inhibitor and is why its a little iffy. Where Devrinol is a germination inhibitor.
    josh

• sunnfarm3
    14 years ago

You won't know what kind of weed problems you will have until after one growing season has passed. In the mean time keep in mind that the herbicides you use and how you apply them will depend on the crop and the type of weeds...Bob.

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Am I understanding that Devrinol can be sprayed after the seeds (veggie) has already sprouted and are seen? I understand spraying after transplanting. I'm just thinking about beans and squash direct planting, and then spraying after the plants are up. How long should I wait?

Where do you get the Devrinol? And how small of quantities can someone buy? I have backpack sprayers and 1 tow behind ATV type sprayer.

• prmsdlndfrm
    14 years ago

Marla you need to wait until the seedlings have thier first true leaves. Any farm store, or nursery supplier should have it or be able to get it for you.
    josh

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

I checked with Rural King, and the gal didn't know if they carried it or not, is there a generic name or what?

I understand about the first leaves. At this time, anything will help.

• sunnfarm3
    14 years ago

Devrinol is the proper name of the product. If a dealer doesn't know that then they are not a good dealer. You can not use Devrinol on beans or squash. You can not even plant beans and squash on soil treated with devrinol for 12 months. And you can not buy it in small quantities. Furthermore you need to be a certified pesticide applicator before you can buy and apply the herbicide.
    Herbicides are designed for very specific crops and weeds and must be applied in a proper fashion to be affective. Do your research before using any herbicide... Bob.

• prmsdlndfrm
    14 years ago

Sorry Marla I didnt catch that Bob is right beans and squash are a no go for Devrinol, here in Indiana though Devrinol is a class 3 slight toxicity with caution on the bottle, you do not need a chem liscense. The active chemical is Napropamide, and like Roundups active chemical is Glyphospate, generics use the active ingredient in thier names alot. So when you look for it keep the active chemical in mind. Google Napropamide and read it.
    josh

• tulsacityfarmer
    14 years ago

You might get it whole sale,but Preveen brand now has an organic formula for vegetable gardens.
    You could get a propane torch like red devil and burn the weed seeds!After you plow,disc, till and rake; before you plant.The swiss have been doing this for years.

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

I was looking for something to work AFTER the plants were up and of course, the WEEDS are up also. I plant alot of squash, so devrinol isn't going to work.

Bob, do you have a recommendation? I'm not organic, but try to stay as chemical-free as possible (I know I'm not saying that right), But would really like not to have the huge weeds in my winter squash patch. Much easier to find the fruits if I don't have to wade thru weeds. I have alot of fox-tail as a majority of the weeds.

• prmsdlndfrm
    14 years ago

Marla there is a new pre emergent called Strategy, designed especialy for cucurbits and squashes, and foxtail is one of the listed controlled weeds, as well as my nemisis pigweed. It comes in 2.5 gallon jugs and is applied the same way as Devrinol and has the same toxicity.
    josh

• sunnfarm3
    14 years ago

If you must spray after the squash is up you apply Sandea 75WG. for broedleaf weeds and later as they appear you control emerging grasses with Poast 1.5EC. This is the standard method used by most vegetable farmers today. Strategy is only applied directly after seeding squash but before plants and weeds emerge. There is a danger of vapor drift when applying Strategy...Bob.

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Thanks, I started off with absolutely NO sprays or anything that wasn't already in the ground. Now, I've given up some of my ideas. I still don't want to kill off my benecial insects, so still no pesticides. I've been lucky so far with the bugs. The Japanese beetles have even found some of my weeds outside the garden tastier than my garden.

I had my sweet corn planted over 100' away from the farmer's soybeans last year. When he came in and sprayed the Roundup over the beans, it drifted over to my sweet corn. Very sad looking corn, and you could tell where the drift was. This year, the farmer is not to come across my creekbed filled with trees, berries and brush. Hopefully that will take care of that problem.

Is the Strategy, Poast and Sandea available for non-licensed application? If need be, my son has a applicator license for his company's landscape business.

• sunnfarm3
    14 years ago

Poast can also be used on many broadleaf vegetables to control grass so its a good value for the money. Sandea has a wide range of crops as well. I like to look at a herbicides range of crops. Strategy has a limited range of crops. I have used all the above and they are very effective in keeping weeds down. One advantage of post emergent herbicides is it gives you plenty of time to cultivate before applying the herbicide. Often you really don;t need to used the herbicide.The title of your post should be... Postemergent Herbicides.. Bob.

• brookw_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, all,

I'm really looking for something to keep weeds out of vegetable and fruit PLANTS, onions, raspberries, strawberries, etc. and in between rows. I want to stop them from germinating if possible. I do hand weed, of course; but I can't begin to keep up with 5 acres. With all the rain last year, it was a nightmare keeping the weeds under control, and I lost an enormous amount of crops to them.

Brook

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Thanks Bob, I'll be looking for those items.

• Winemaker43_aol_com
    12 years ago

Need Alot HELP WITH AND DIRECTION WITH HERBICIDES AND INSECTICIDE SPRAYING. I THANK YOU FOR YOUR IMPUT.

• gonefishingagain44
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

What is the best granular pre emergent herbicide for watermelons.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource