Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ekgrows

Trash to Treasure - Display Ideas Anyone?

ekgrows
14 years ago

My boss is purchasing a house on a couple acres that we will turn into our retail outlet. We currently grow out of his home, and sell at farmers markets. People like to come out and visit the nursery, so having a place that doesn't disrupt his household and is also on a busy street has been a goal for a while. We're pretty excited!

While the location is great - the house is trashed. It is FULL OF STUFF - lots and lots of stuff - bookshelves full of books, beds, dressers, lamps, about 10 old tv's, dishes, clothes, etc, etc. Some of the "stuff" is usable - there are lots of jars I can use for bouquets, at least a dozen fans - which we will use in the greenhouses, and so on. We will donate and recycle as much as possible, but that still leaves a lot of trash.

Then - there is the shed. It is very large - maybe 30 x 40, and was obviously at one point a great workshop. We will turn this into our sales area. It's full of tools, paint cans, and lots of wood - including old doors, windows, benches, etc. We have decided to use old logs and dead branches scattered throughout the property to outline the parking area, and chip what is left for mulch.

The more we look thru all the junk, the more we feel like maybe we could use some of it - make benches for plants out of the old doors and windows. There are cinder blocks EVERYWHERE - and we could lay benches on them. I have also heard of trellises made of old windows - with the glass removed of course. While I would love to use what is available, and would otherwise be recycled or trash, I don't want our display to look trashy. I think there is a certain charm to turning "trash" into treasure, just not sure that I have the needed vision to do it. We want to pull people in - not have them stop and say - "Look at this dump" and turn around and leave!

What do you all think? Would you shop at a nursery it they used benches made of old doors, or would it turn you off? Any tasteful ways to incorporate otherwise garbage into an attractive display? What is the best thing you ever made with what would otherwise fill dumpsters? Not sure if I'm crazy trying to figure out how to use some of this stuff, but it just seems like such a waste not to.

Thanks for any comments and/or ideas!

Comments (7)

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

I used to use concrete blocks in my old greenhouse to display plants. Baskets are used alot. Almost anything that something could sit on, could be a display.

I have a fellow vendor that transports things like you mentioned over 50 miles to the farmers market and uses them for her displays.

I would try to use almost anything. I've seen the old caned chairs, without the caning, used to put a pot of flowers in the seat and sell it for $50 or more.

Just put your thinking cap on. Also it may take awhile to 'use' all your treasures.

• boulderbelt
    14 years ago

we used all sorts of junk left on our farm over the years to decorate our farm store. we found several beautiful doors in a barn. Lots of old funky tools scattered all over the place are now displayed on the walls of our farm store.

We have made cold frames, plant stands, tools, etc., from metal, wood, windows, etc.. we have found around the farm.

It gives the p[lace a nice funky lived in feel which our customers like a lot and it does not look at all junky

• prmsdlndfrm
    14 years ago

My farm was full of junk also when I first moved in. I wish that I had put more thought into it as you are when I started cleaning it out. I hauled metal roofing to scrap, which I now regret, and burned old wood and doors which I now also regret, and I could go on, I suggest that you find a corner somewhere to store things for a while, toss the obvious junk, but if you have any vauge idea it could be useful, dont force yourself to use it now, store it, and it will come to you, wish I had.
    josh

• gardener1908
    14 years ago

I think the with right stuff and an artful eye you could make some very charming displays. But you would have to be careful that it looked creative and not just a bunch of 'junk'. Go to your local book store and look at books on garden junk and see if you come up with some ides. There is also a forum here on GW. Done right it could it could go right along with the home grown thing. Let us know if you come up with some ideas.

• oldlady59
    10 years ago

HI i'm a newbie here and just found this forum so i have a question for gardener1908. Where is the forum here on GW that is all about Trash to treasure ideas. I have a lot of ideas I'd love to share. and always interested in other ideas. With being quite conservative I'm always thinking outside the box. Thank you

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

oldlady59

try 'Garden junk' forum...

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Look on Pinterest for:

Upcycled doors
    reclaimed wood
    reused paint cans

Etc.

I would be delighted to see a display area made from what would have gone to a landfill.

ADDING: don't forget you can SELL what you don't use in the shop. Coffee tables made of old doors, windows with the panes replaced by mirrors as wall art, mason jar lights ... or sell as-is for DIYers.

This post was edited by lazygardens on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 10:25

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists