Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
originalentwife

Market Stall Presentation

entwife
15 years ago

Hello all;

I am looking for ideas on making my market stall look as good and as inviting as possible. If anyone has any tip sto share, I would really appreciate it! Adn pics would be GREAT! Does anyone know of a good website or book that would have good pics?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (10)

• boulderbelt
    15 years ago

http://www.growingformarket.com has pictures. My blog has lots of pictures of my stall and others (but you will have to look around the blog and it is getting rather large-what can I say, I love to write) http://www.boulderbelt.blogspot.com
    http://www.oxfordfarmersmarket.com has lots of pictures of FM Stalls

A table, nice table cloth and a shelter such as an EZUp is essential. people seem to like to buy produce from baskets than straight off of the table. I use the kind of basket used for bread in a restaurant. Having different levels makes the display that much more stunning

• bagardens (Ohio, Zone 5b)
    15 years ago

Here are some of the signs that I make up on my computer. I took pictures of my plants and used them as backgrounds for my signs. Unlike most other markets, at the market we sold at last year you did not have to grow your own produce. In fact out of the regular sellers we are the only ones who grow all there own produce. I really tried to use that to my advantage, we made sure we let people know that our produce was fresh picked and grown by us. That is why I thought it would be a good idea to put the pictures on the signs to help people realize it is our produce, plus I think it looks nice too.

Here is a picture of our tables at our farmers market last year.

Does anyone have any ideas or pictures of displays that they have made? I had some ideas of displays that I plan to make for my lettuce and corn. I will have to post some pictures once I get them made, but haven't gotten to it yet. It would be interesting to know what kind of neat things others have made.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    15 years ago

I always think the best displays are simple. A tablecloth, simple signs and colorful. For me, my display also has to be set up fast! I sell at 3 markets one has a rule you can't sell until the bell rings, (I LOVE THAT!), one you can't start parking until 5:30 and it starts at 5:30. I dislike this one with a passion! I am never the first one to set up before 5:30, but I always set up 2nd or 3rd. Customers are always waiting for you and I am a one man show. I have to be fast! The last market is saturday morning. People start buying as soon as you show up. I have to set up fast there too!

I usually sell most stuff out of flat 28 quart plastic tubs. They are about 18 inches by 24 inches and 6 inches tall. I can put 20 pounds of tomatoes, 20 pints of cherry tomatoes, a bunch of peppers or cucumbers in them! The best of all they stack with lids. I can put 3 or 4 wide across the back of my truck and 3-5 high (depends on the time of the year.) I set my tables on top and through two straps over them and away I go.

The thing I like is the Squash display I have. I bought a bunch of 1/2 bushel baskets from our local grocery store. They were $2.00 each. I bought everyone they had! I also fill these with potatoes and let people choose their own.

I made a small frame out of 2 by 4's and I can sit 6 baskets on top of them. I cover the frame with a cover and load them up. I can store things under the cover too! It is just sitting on a card table. I save my big tables for my other produce.

When you sell many different kinds of squash, it is nice to display them all and it is very eye catching.

Here is the display set up in my basement. Imagine all the squash in 2nd picture placed in the first picture. Sorry I don't have any actual market pictures that show it set up.

• kyhunly
    15 years ago

The lady who I believe edits the Growing For Market newsletter, Lynn Bryscinski (spelling probably bad), has a book out by the same name which is really good, and she writes really user friendly. It has ideas on presentation. I'm a reader, I'll read anything printed on tree or fake tree, so I went a little Amazon crazy--not the first time. Backyard Market Gardening and Sell What You Sow are really helpful as far as growing and types of direct marketing, but Ms. Bryscinski's book is far more helpful as far as your question. That said, if you're doing anything with flowers or transplants, she has a great book called the Flower Farmer, too. Course, I'm a big believer in the fact that this is my first year literally selling at farm markets, so I'll probably learn more doing than by any book.
    As far as pictures, I've had a ball just googling on several search engines market pictures. I think it's neat to look at different markets across the country and how their presentations are different. The posts here and at Dave's garden are great. I love that pepper guy's presentation. And Ms. Lucy at boulderbelt isn't stingy with the picture's either. I'm in awe. Tiny Farm blog also has great pictures, but since I haven't figured out how to link things thru here yet--I guess I'll be shutting up now.
    Susan

• steve22802
    15 years ago

Just a comment regarding Lynn Byczynski's books. I currently have The Flower Farmer and Market Farming Success checked out from my library and while they do contain quite a lot of useful information they both have only a couple pictures of market stall presentations and these are of only minimal interest. The books are definitely worth reading but you should look elsewhere for examples of good market stall presentation.

I too am interested in market presentation as this will be my first season selling at my local farmers market. I wish there was a nice slide show on the web showing a wide range of different market stalls that we could just go flip through to get ideas...

• bagardens (Ohio, Zone 5b)
    15 years ago

You might want to go to growingformarket.com and download the free issue. There is an article called Secrets of Great Displays, that might be helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: growingformarket.com

• jessicavanderhoff
    15 years ago

I think keep a spray bottle of water around so leaves don't get dried out. I like the look of big piles of produce filling up every inch of the table.

• rjinga
    15 years ago

I saw this display for sale on craigslist. and to be honest I think it could be very easily made DIY. I think you could also use plastic planting containers/pots in place of the baskets for things that might be heavier. I'm going to give this one a whirl...and the other (second pic), pretty basic but seems like it could be funtional and handy.

{{gwi:7781}}

• entwife
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love the look of baskets in stand displays. I always seem to like those presentations best. I guess I'd better start looking for places that sell them reasonably. Nothing else seems to complement the vegetables and fruits better. :)

• rjinga
    15 years ago

Our local hobby lobby sells those old style baskets with handles pretty cheap. the larger ones are actually the cheapest at like $4 each. I've found great basket deals at yard sales and thrift stores, if you just need a few different types.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm