Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eric_wa

T-Tape, Your Experience

eric_wa
14 years ago

Hello,

Do you use T-Tape? How do you install and uninstall / store? What Mil? How far apart on a 3ft raised bed. Who is your supplier?

We have purchased many installations worth of product from Dripworks but have very little experience with T-Tape.

Eric

Comments (9)

• dirtdigging101
    14 years ago

lot of factors to consider. I use a low flow rate and a heavy mil thickness and i mulch over the tape . easy to use has 'emmitters every 4" and on my 3' raised beds I use 2 lines 18" apart. i only pull mine out when i loosen the soil and install it right back and mulch back over. I keep several union fittings on hand and use then to cut out any leaks. i bought mine from robert marvel in PA it is called Queens Guild but i do not think it is aavailable. just use a thick sturdy thickneww. also in dry times dogs and critters will dig it up for a drink.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    14 years ago

Eric: I am in the same boat as you. I am changing to T-Tape or drip tape this year for my irrigation. It shouldn't be that hard, but I don't want to spend a small fortune for stuff that I don't need. Most people I talk to prefer to use tape with 12 inch spacing. I am going to make different runs for different crops. Carrots, beets, Onions, Leeks, they will get 2 or 3 runs. Tomatoes, single row peppers, cucumbers, potatoes, okra broccoli, cauliflower will all get one run. I am having a problem with header line size. I want to use 1/2 black plastic pipe for header line. I bought about 300-400 feet of this pipe and a big box of fittings for $12.

I have a question, about 1/2 inch black pipe. Could I lay it down and put in drip emmiters on each plant. I know it would be a little more expensive, but since I have the pipe, I might try it. What do you think?

Jay

• randy41_1
    14 years ago

I second the need with t tapes for pressure control. Never used a filter with it and never had problems because of that.

• pshay4
    14 years ago

I use drip tape. I get all my irrigation supplies from Dripworks. I have 3' raised beds in my garden. When I plant double rows (green beans), I use one line for each row right on the seeds. For 3 rows (carrots, spinach, leaf lettuce), I still use 2 lines, but center them between the rows. I used the 1/2" mainline tubing with emitters for the tomatoes for several years. This year, I'm going to use the drip tape. Always have problems with the emitters, then I'm down on my hands and knees digging through the tomato plants. If there's a problem with drip tape-just cut and splice and go on. The biggest problem I have with the drip tape is my husband. Every year he decides to get out the mantis tiller and cultivate the crops. When I turn on the irrigation-leaks everywhere! For some reason he never remembers doing it the year before.

• wackybell
    14 years ago

I am on the same page as everyone else. I can understand the confusion at first when you are are looking at the website. My advice to a newbie is to order the beginner kit from dripworks and just spend a few hours in the field figuring it out.
    Then order more of what you need. Delivery times is pretty short if ordering "fittings". I like using driptape barbs that have the shut off valve. Once you have all the bits and pieces you will reuse them for years to come.
    1 tip I figured out myself when I first started with drip is I do everything with the water running. yes I get wet but I see right away if there is a problem.
    I will reuse tape with in the season ie when replanting a bed from broccoli to late beets. But I do not save tape from year to year. Perhaps I'll rethink this in the future.

Also 1/2" mainline is also called orchard tubing. I order my mainline and drip from nolt's midwest produce supply and I order all the "bits" from dripworks. I'd estimate that a first time buyer would spend less than $300 for mainline drip and "all the bits" and mainline and drip rolls would last for at least 2-4 years?

Good luck once you buy into drip you'll wonder why you were so afraid of it in the first place.
    Kristi

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kristi,

Mainline is cheap 1000ft of 1/2 is $80.00 Dripworks Commercial. Its the fittings that add up. We use the Easy Loc fittings. .50 to 1.00 each. Much easier to disassemble. T-Tape looks to be 900ft roll $172.00 to $180.00.

Battery timer, filter, regulater, manifold fittings about $100.00.

How does Nolt's prices compare?
    Eric

• wackybell
    14 years ago

nolts

1000ft orchard tubing ---$78 500 ft --- $39
    aquatraxx- 8mil 7500ft 8" ---$142

as far as I can see I other irrigation stuff os about the same. Why I order from Nolts is b/c the shipping is sometimes faster since delivery is only a 4 hr drive away. Stuff I order from the west coast usually takes a full week.

Everything Nolt's carries is very reasonable. They are mennonite people. I've been there picking up stuff and seen these men taking phone orders in german and using a palm pilot. Very funny. I've had pallets of stuff delivered and its still reasonable compared to a full days drive and fuel for a farm truck.

Nolts' midwest Produce Supplies 3160 140th st St. Charles Ia 50616
    phone 641 228 4496

Also UW Extention and wisconsin fresh veg growers assoc. is having a 1 day micro irrigation growers school. Wed Mar 24 2010 at the Arlington WI research station. If you live within a 4 hour drive of Madison WI it would be worth the drive. I'm sure other states have veg grower assoc. with hands on meetings. For more into in the 1 day school call wisconsin fresh market veg growers assoc. at 920 478 3852

Kristi

• huisjen
    14 years ago

I use a 2" gas powered pump to push water up hill from the pond about 20' vertically and 350' horizontally. It splits into four 1" lines which I lay out as needed. The final ~60' section of the 1" line has 3/32" holes drilled all the way through every 1 1/2', holes rotated 90° from their neighbors, and the end of the hose corked. Sections go together with 90° barbed elbows, which are easy to tap in and out with a hammer. I get the water line used from a local plumber, who'd be throwing it away otherwise. I found plastic elbows at the local surplus and salvage place for $2.50/pound and stocked up.

Sometimes when watering, I walk through and unclog holes with a large needle. (A piece of wire would also do.)

This is not a precision method, but for watering the garden it works and it's cheap. The water shoots out in a jet, much like an oscillating lawn sprinkler, but not oscillating. It arcs 8' up and comes down in a shower over a 12"-15" circle. I wiggle/roll the hoses sometimes to change the stream impact site.

Eventually I want a windmill so I don't have to mess with gas near the stream. That will change the distribution system a bit.

Dan

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA