Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how often does your market meet

Posted by veggievicki 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 17:27

My farmer's market is in a town of about 20K with another 20K living in the immediate area. The next closest market is 50 miles away in north Little Rock. They are meeting on Saturday morning and on Tuesday evening from 4 to 8. In planning out this coming year I am trying to decide whether to just ditch the Tuesday session all together, take less product, or treat it the same as Saturday's hours. The thing is working the Tuesday market around my part time job and my hubby's weird shifts as a nurse are a real nightmare. I've gotten the impression from reading this forum that a good many of you only go on weekends?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how often does your market meet

I go Wednesdays 2-7 year round, and Sundays 9-2 main season (june-nov). But I market in a semi-large city of 1/2 million with 60 plus farmers markets each week.

However, I used to sell in a much smaller town and I found twice a week to be overkill. Different customers came to the weekday evening market, but not nearly as many as the weekend.

If you can grow more than the one market can support, you could consider a small CSA or some wholesale accounts. This may work with your schedule better than the second market.
-Mark

This post was edited by madroneb on Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 23:07

o

Thank you, Mark. I have a very good part time "desk-get-dressed-up" job. This is supplemental income for me. But I really enjoy it, so I'm trying to figure things out.

o

I believe 2x per week is plenty. 3x starts to wear you out before season ends.

My weekday market was usually about 1/2 of the Saturday market, if that helps. You definitely get a different customer during the week versus the weekend.

The market was centered in a county of about 150K, started out as only market days were Tues/Thurs/Sat. Another market started on Wednesday only, and it just about killed the Tues/Thurs markets. It did finally kill Tuesday and Thursdays were moved onto campus, but it's more of a food court than farmers market.

o

My market is on Thursdays. I have a very tight schedule with work, church and home plus garden business so I am finding it hard to figure out a day to add another market. That is why I started the CSAs in 2010.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here