Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Experience with corn gluten meal?

Posted by berry-nut 4bswWI (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 13, 09 at 17:46

Hi All
I was wondering if anyone has experience using corn gluten meal as a pre emergent? I have read alot on the net but it is nice to hear real testamonials. I am interested to know if it will work on strawberries or if it might mess with the runners.
Thanks in advance
Jake

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Experience with corn gluten meal?

• Posted by budb 8b (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 13, 09 at 21:11

Jake
I was given a sample bag a few years ago. I could see no
benefit for weed control. I would rate it a 0 or less .
It attracted ants by the millions and may have even had a
fertilizer effect on the weeds.
Bud

o

Hi Jake.

I used it one year in my veggie garden, as I try to be chemical free in there, at least.

I found it was only good short term. (Like real short term. A couple of weeks at best) and I had to keep re-applying.

For my strawberries I just weed the bed real good in spring and immediately put down a nice thick layer of mulch. If you want to skip the weeding part,.few layers thick of newspaper and mulch on top of that works, too.

Dawn

o

Thanks for the quick response!
Bud, I have read that if applied after seeds germinate it indeed helps them as cgm is 10% nitrogen, so in fact anything growing will be fertilized. Dawn, we do the weeding often and I was just hoping to find something less time intensive. What I found online is that you need to lay down 30-40 lbs per 1000 ft and to apply it every 4 weeks or more often if it rains.
I appreciate your thoughts
Thanks!
Jake

o

• Posted by budb 8b (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 15, 09 at 20:27

Use it if you must, but anything else would be more effective
and last longer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here