Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thosedarnsqurls

Economy Effects on Upcoming Season

I try not to listen to too much of the media hype, but you just can't completely ignore the general direction/mood concerning the current economy.

I sell "pretties" at several local Farmer's Markets, and have done pretty well in the past, with my unusual perennials/natives/etc. (Just as well as the veggie guys, if not better.) However,,...I'm starting to fear that THIS year it might be very different.

My question is,....would it be smart to pare down on the "pretties" and start growing "food stuff" instead?

Grow much less than I usually do, as I've heard many growers are doing?

Are any of you changing how you normally approach the market season, in regards to the Gloom-N-Doom economy?

Anyone excercising caution, or business as usual?

Would love to hear some opinions of seasoned market sellers.

Comments (14)

• canuckistani
    15 years ago

I think people will be much more focused on essentials. Maybe cheap 'pretties' might be the way to go?

• budb
    15 years ago

Squrls
    As a market farmer for 23 years,I share your concerns about
    the sour economy and it's possible effect on our sales.
    I sell gourmet vegetables and cut flowers and feel this is
    a good combination. Each complimenting the other.
    We have not experienced the degree of downturn as other parts
    of the country. Our sales were a bit slower than normal around
    the holiday but have bounced back better than last year at this time.
    As for cutting back on usual planting, I will not , because
    doing so means you will definitely have a poor season, poor
    economy or not.
    If your "pretties" don't include cut flowers, give them serious consideration. People will often treat themselves or
    others to a bouquet or just a field bunch of fresh cut flowers. Pot plants or bedding plants require a commitment
    to plant or care for versus a spontaneous or impulse purchase of cut flowers.
    If you don't prepare for a good market, you won't have one.
    Times may get tough everywhere, but with good quality products and a little " buy local" salesmanship, I think we will be just fine.
    Good Luck!
    Bud

• jdsims
    15 years ago

No matter what people will have to eat and as the price in the food market goes up and cnn and fox news report more problems with food being contaminated from other countries I fill people will be looking for healthy food from other services. I also think if we keep our price around store prices we can bring people from the stores to our market.

Im going to try and keep my prices low enough were not to undercutt people to much but be able to help people out in feeding there family.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    15 years ago

I share your same concern. I am starting to have a strong feeling towards the opposite. I am growing my garden. I am going to be growing more produce. I am going to offer more variety and hopefully supply. This locovore movement and buying local is really starting to take off! Even in Kansas were many people have their own gardens. I agree with jdsims, contaminated food sources are really good news to market gardeners.

I think more people will be eating at home more often, instead of eating out, in the months to come. They will be needing fresh ingredients, and I think markets are a great place to get them. I am concerned about prices. I think we will not be able to get away with higher prices. I think pricing will be very tricky this year.

Great topic! I would love to hear what others think.

• canuckistani
    15 years ago

How will worldwide droughts effect market gardening?

Here is a link that might be useful: Worldwide Droughts 2009

• PRO
    WildThings Rescue Nursery
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank You All for the great input.

Looks like I should be starting more veggie plants this year along with my "pretties". Even though perennials are my favorites. The opinions seem to all be leading in the direction of,....essentials will sell best.

Bud,
    Yes. I do the bouquet thing. Have for years, and you're right. I almost always sell out.
    What I'd really love to know is what up-scale veggies do you grow?
    My 13 yr old son is going to start doing markets with me this year, (in lieu of a summer job), and will be growing/selling Asian veggies berries and wierd stuff like bright red cukes, purple Brussels, etc. Would love to know some of your bestselling oddballs for him to try.

Dawn

• loodean
    15 years ago

I only participate in one farmerÂs market and it is very small and rural. The customers are conservative in nature and always want a deal. I suspect that if my customers think that they can get produce cheaper at the farmerÂs market, then they will come. In past years that hasnÂt always been the case, but with the drought in CA it might be this year.

That said, the CSA I operate has gone through the roof. I farm 80 miles from the Twin Cities and this year I have had more inquiries, sooner, with more questions than every before. I suppose I could say that the word about CSA has gotten out and more people now are aware of them, but I donÂt think that is the only factor this year. The folks that have emailed me for information almost seem to be desperate  frightened that they will not be able to buy a share. Usually this happens in late May  not February. So far I am running about 50% ahead of last year. I rarely buy fresh veggies at the supermarket. I freeze and can a lot, so I donÂt pay attention to the prices. Are produce prices on the way up because of the drought in CA? Is this what is causing more people to turn towards CSAs? I donÂt knowÂ

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

Good question Dawn! I sell cut flowers at the market, and I've been wondering myself whether to put more of my space towards vegetables. Between the tightening economy (less people splurging on flowers) and the "buy local" trend, I'm wondering if veggies are the way to go.

My personal decision is made more difficult by the fact that one market I sell at is somewhat upscale, and I think people there will continue to buy flowers. The other market I sell at is more like loodean's - people looking for a bargain, not extravagances like bouquets.

Decisions, decisions....

:)
    Dee

• PRO
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Dee.

I do one "upscale" Market, where I think the rare perennials and cut flowers will still move, but I WAS going to raise my prices a bit, due to my potting mix literally DOUBLING in cost this year, pots going up, plastic tags, etc.
    Now, I'm thinking I just need to tighten my own belt/suck it up and keep my prices the same, if I'm to move plants at all. I can't stop selling them altogether, as it's what I've become known for. (And my favorite things to grow)And hopefully in a year or 2, the perennial market will be back in the game again.

Thing is, with moving to more veggies,..All 5 of the markets I do are pretty well saturated with veggie guys already, so I really need to look at some of the oddball stuff that no one else will be growing, and is has to also be marketable. (Not SO bizarre that no one is willing to try it, at least.) And the suggestions of supplying FREE printed out recipes I just love!(And definitely will be doing.)

Dawn

• boulderbelt
    15 years ago

I have been selling upscale food for 15 years and so far this year sales are up. I started a CSA type thing (after a 3 year break from doing one before for 10 years) and while I am not sold out there is a lot of interest and I am certain I will have a waiting list by the April 7th starting date.

So far at the winter farmers market sales have been strong and I live in a very hard hit area with around 10% unemployment (but we have been hard hit here for the past 3 or 4 years). I think as we get ever more food scares such as this peanut salmonella deal more and more people will be looking for alternatives.

One thing people should consider growing if they already grow plants for sale is growing veggie and herbs starts for people who feel they can garden. That would be good business in the spring I would think.

• budb
    15 years ago

Dawn
    I sell mostly baby vegetables. I grow several varieties of
    squash, eggplant, cucumbers, green beans, and a unique okra.
    All are harvested at the tender "baby" stage and offered
    for sale in pint strawberry baskets. I charge $3.00 per basket
    or 3 for $8 and sell all I bring.
    I try to set my prices to be the highest at the market. This
    eliminates most of the really price sensitive customers and
    has developed a real upscale clientele.
    I promote grilling and most baby vegetables fit right in.
    Other items such as artichokes and fava beans attract a lot
    of customers and are very profitable.
    On the flower side , I sell mostly sunflowers, zinnias and
    celosia. Either in straight bunches or mixed bouquets.
    Don't be afraid to try something different and don't try
    to go the cheap route either.
    Good Luck!
    Bud

• PRO
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bud,

You, my dear man,...Are

Brilliant!

• budb
    15 years ago

Brilliant....I don't think so....just a good listener, maybe
    a good marketer, maybe a good market farmer...but brilliant?
    ....nah.
    Listen to your customers, watch them as they shop. What are
    they looking for? What are they choosing? Look at their
    shopping bags, items bought from other vendors. People will
    tell you what they like and what they are willing to pay.
    Watch...Listen...Deliver!
    Bud

• hanselmanfarms
    15 years ago

I am growing MORE, lots more, 2x-3x more. I will have economical recipes for my customers and tips on storing "in-season" produce. I am thinking about having some "Ball Blue Books" on hand to sell. Over the last few years, I have been the "go-to" person for canning and preserving, at the market. I don't have a problem with that, but it would be nice if the person asking the question would buy from me. They usually do, maybe not that day, but another. I have even helped customers pick out produce (that I don't have) at other vendors' booth. It really "bugs" the other vendor when a customer comes down to my booth and gets me to pick out their produce at the other vendor's booth. They do get over it, or I just take the customer to another booth.

My prices will probably stay the same as last year. I noticed last year that I am selling more bulk/large amounts of produce. Even 2 customers coming together to buy a "box" of tomatoes and putting up the produce together. 1 knows how and the other is learning. Lot of grandmas coming with granddaughters to pick out canning produce.

Sponsored