Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prmsdlndfrm

snow snow go-away & other things

prmsdlndfrm
14 years ago

Im glad I live in Southern IN. From INDY north theyve been hammered, the east coast from zones 4-7 hammered. Now we here in South IN got more snow than normal, 6-8 inches including drifts, but aint so bad, just cold real cold, at least for us, 24 F. Now spring cant get here fast enough.

I bought a herd of 60 commercial grade Boer does, but cant get them home, they are over in Henryville, about 60 miles east of me as the crow flies , South of Columbus IN, they are snowed in, 10-15 inches including drifts and they are under strict orders of no driving unless of emergency, dont think Id want to be pulling a 24 foot stock trailer with almost 6000 pounds of goat in this weather anyway. Well March is almost here, and the weather is supposed to clear sometime next week.

josh

Comments (24)

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Hey, Josh, come on up. We got lucky only 5.5" this time. Light, fluffy, white stuff. and Winds gusting to 40 mph. My son plows snow for one of the hospitals, he went out at 3 am and got home after 4 pm, this time. He had got home at 4 pm yesterday to go out again before 9. He might have got 5 hours of sleep in over 48 hours.

Our weatherman is talking about the end of Feb getting much better. Friday nite/Saturday morning low is forecasted at -5 degree temps. I sure hope no wind.

I haven't been off of the deck outside my trailer since Monday night. Got as much work done Monday, to hiberate til morning at least. Our county is on Level 1 also, emergency ONLY, and they threaten to ticket anyone out on the roads except emergencies.

• prmsdlndfrm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Weve had a lot of wind, thus the drifts, the boys think its cool, one side of the driveway just covers your shoes, 20 foot away on the high side of the driveway the snow piled up to 8 inches, they think its funny when mom screams as they bury thierselves in the drifts.
    you all got off better than INDY did then, our realitives say its a mess.
    josh

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

What Happen To Jack????

Here is a link that might be useful: or Not !!

• prmsdlndfrm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Are you implying Im a hillbilly eric, it takes one to know one :0) LOL
    josh

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

I was asking for Jack.

Josh, Where is everybody. Are the out in the fields, working? I might have to go get some real work done, if there is no one to talk to.

Here is a link that might be useful: or Not !

• prmsdlndfrm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well last time I talked to Jack he was working on planting in his fields, lucky son of a gun. Marla and I are stuck indoors, as the snow sits outside daring us to venture out. :0)
    josh

• prmsdlndfrm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well a look at the extended forecast has given me the blues, apperantly my neck of the woods is in for more of the same for another couple weeks, with added snow fall, and no melting inbetween. Now this Southern Indiana boy is getting worried, Im not used to this, this is abnormal with a capitol A. I am not sure how to deal with this, and neither is our county, the roads are shutting down, did we get zapped to Michigan somehow, this weather is screwed up.
    josh

• prmsdlndfrm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just had to take the youngest boy to get the tip of his finger put back on at the hospital, he was out in the barn riding and roping the goats, (he thinks hes going to be the next TY Murray) somehow he caught his finger on some wire fence while riding a goat (my boys 8 and 65 pounds) the goat kept going but his finger went the opposite direction, well at least he brought some excitement to the house.
    Josh

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Ouch!

Josh, our weatherman was saying last night that it is more like the weather we had back in the 70s. I know it's more like I remember growing up. Just keep thinking, 'it's killing the bugs'. He is calling for a warm up the last part of Feb. It would be nice, I'm running out of room for all my tomato/pepper starts. Up to over 700 tomatoes and 300 peppers so far. I promise NOT to start any more seeds until at least 2/16.

• prmsdlndfrm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Your right Marla, I was talking with the wife, and yeah I remember going to school in the early 80s and snow would be on the ground, even here in Southern IN , wed have snow most all winter, youd see snow men, and forts, ambushed by snowballs. Weve gotten used to the warmer weather over the last 15 years or so. I was 2 years old in 1978, my mom says this weather reminds here of 78, the mild week we had before this hit, my mom said the same thing happened then, then the blizzard hit, of course she says there was way more snow than this, the east cost is getting the blizzard amounts.

Did you know snow adds nitrogen to the soil, it also is more efficient at recharging the ground water, because it melts and it runs off slower so the soil has an easier time absorbing it. Snow also has a sterilizing effect for soil. One of the big reasons the south isnt anymore competitve in growing crops is the lack of snow.
    josh

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

What? Josh, do you have a link to back up this jibber jabber.

I've read about Lightning and Nitrogen, but snow?

Eric

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    14 years ago

I know how you all feel with the snow. It is suppose to be in the mid to high 30's this weekend. I am going to chip frost and deal with the mud and try to get my high tunnel posts in the ground this weekend. I even heard a 40 for next week. We have had snow on the ground probably since November 16th. Just as it almost all melted away, the next week it would snow again!

I just dropped a bunch of money to buy supplies for my hoop houses. I hope I bought enough! Still need to order irrigation supplies and some odds and ends.

Marla: I would love it if this winter killed all the bugs! I did find a squash bug a month ago in our basement. I think it rode in on some firewood. He promptly was thrown in the fire!

Josh: Hope the little guy is ok. I have 4 girls, never a dull moment here!

Jay

• prmsdlndfrm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

eric the site weather notebook, topic Natures Fertilizer
    http://www.weathernotebook.org/Transcripts/2001/04/17.html
    hope I typed that address right, you can google it
    Snow is an excellent supplier of phosphorus and nitrogen, especialy these days with the acid rain and air pollution,

Thank you all for your concern, the boyll be ok, another battle scar, they actualy glued the tip of his finger back on, who knew
    josh

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Ok, Josh, now I know you're alot younger than I am. You're between my 1st and 2nd son's age. I remember the blizzard of 78. Hubby, son and I got stuck in IL for a week. We had a heavy snow in Jan. We took vacation to Padre Island, TX. On the way back, going thru St Louis, they shut the town down. Semi's sliding all over the road, we were in a car. Asked about a room in Vandanlia, no such luck. Called uncle in Pana, IL. told him we were coming in. Got stuck 1/4 way up a 1/2 mile lane. Walked the rest of the way. That year, was alot like this year. TOO MUCH SNOW. The next summer was HOT, we didn't have AC

• prmsdlndfrm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I hope it wont be HOT this summer, ugh, I rather the cold than excessive heat. That is the one thing I hated about living in Southern Arkansas, you just couldnt seem to get cool, I was a kid then, now that Im in my 30s I realise its worse for an adult.
    josh

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

I rather have it HOT, semi-hot, than cool. More veggies like the heat versus the cool summer we had last year.

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

Josh, This is from another site.

I had always been just a bit skeptical of the fact that snow contains nitrogen. My research when I was first asked this question back in the late '70s -- which I don't need to remind you was pre-Internet and Google -- failed to turn up any reliable data confirming what I considered to be just another gardening wives' tale.

Well, it turns out not only snow, but rain as well, contains nitrogen compounds that were suspended in air as they formed. It is estimated that 2 to 12 pounds of nitrogen are deposited per acre as a result of snow and rain. Most of this nitrogen comes from emissions as a result of burning fossil fuels and industrial manufacturing. The rest comes from lightning fixing atmospheric nitrogen, which makes up 70 percent of air, as I recall.

In fact, it seems the amount of nitrogen in snow and rain has increased dramatically since industrialization and the advent of the automobile. One study I read indicated that by the 1980s the amount of nitrogen deposited in the Colorado Front Range was 30 times greater than it was before the Industrial Revolution. Another study says that this number has since doubled.

Granted, to a chemical gardener, 2 to 12 pounds per acre is not that much nitrogen when one considers the suggested rate of application is 3 to 5 pounds per 1,000 square feet. (An acre has 43,560 square feet). But in more and more areas, particularly along rivers and in watersheds, the nitrogen from rain and snow, particularly when snow melts in the spring, has been enough to cause serious changes in the ecosystem.

Add to this studies that show an increase in nitrogen mineralization -- uptake by microbes a la soil food web -- in tundra areas when there is snow cover and it becomes clear that snow falling in your yard can be counted for something, especially if you have not damaged your soil's microbes with harsh chemical fertilizers. No wonder the old wives' tales called snow "the poor farmer's fertilizer."

Here is a link that might be useful: Poor Farmer's Fertilizer

• prmsdlndfrm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

See my jibber jabber had something to it :0)
    I use very little chemical fertilizer, only enough for starting the plants. Roughly 80 percent or more of my fertilizer is compost, heavy on animal remains, well rotted and finished for safety.
    josh

• divadeva
    14 years ago

I'm gonna be a contrarian here and whine about warm weather and lack of snow.

We're having a warm winter here in the Sierra Mountains of Northern California. We've only had 3' of snow, most of that dumped in one weekend. I've never seen our place in the winter without at least 1' of snow on the ground. Endless rain. The roads are seas of mud instead of frozen and firm. I gave all of my family snow shoes for Christmas. Picture us sitting around the wood stove, snowshoes on, gazing out at the rain.

Well, March can be our harshest month. We'll have to go up the road to Lake Tahoe to play in the snow if it stays this warm. Send snow.

• prmsdlndfrm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

divadeva, well box you up some, but 1 foot, or 3 foot, were griping about inches LOL :0)
    josh

• prmsdlndfrm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What in the #@$%& By Wednesday we are projected to have up to 2 feet of snow, what am I going to do, I havent seen that much snow since I was 2 feet tall myself. AHHHHH
    josh

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

That stuff just missed us. But we have more comimg in today, tonight and Wednesday. Clear Thurs and part of Friday, more coming this weekend. I really not far north of you, Josh.

• prmsdlndfrm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Im thinking something happened in space and time and moved me north of Laffeyete, or however you spell it LOL
    josh

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Lafayette, like Marquis de LaFayette. we just dropped the capital F. We have been lucky THIS YEAR, normally we would get more than you. Of course, this year, the son that plows snow is on salary instead of hourly. That's probably way, we are getting more snow than normal. Just enough to call him out during 'off' hours.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner