Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice on hoop placement

Posted by veggievicki 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 19:49

Hubby is going to help me put up a high tunnel this week. We have some sawmill cedar that he will build four foot knee walls with. The width will be 16. If our calculations are correct 25 foot hoops will give us 11 or 12 foot of height. If we go with 1" grey PVC. What distance would be best between hoops? Snow load is not an issue occasionally wind might be a concern.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice on hoop placement

Ours are at 5'. I sometimes wish they were at 4', but since I didn't have to do the work, I won't complain. If I remember right, 5' is about right for those areas that don't have to worry about snow load. Don't forget the purlins (pipes) that will help with holding together when the winds blow.

Vicki, how cold are you getting tonight? I'm in southern IL and am thinking about visiting AR before we go home this weekend.

o

We will get down to thirty two tonight We've been hovering at frost at night and between fortys up to sixty in day depending on sun. They're predicting a little. Cold snap this weekend. Mid 20s. I hope my brocs do okay

o

I use 4' centers. 5' or 6' works for some people, too.

I just built a high tunnel with 4' high side walls. It's 18.5' wide. My hoop is 21' and my peak height is 8.' The lower your height, the easier it is to handle strong winds. 12' is really tall. If you don't need that height for the sake of fitting a tractor inside the high tunnel, you might consider using shorter hoops to give you a lower structure. That would make it much stronger against wind.

o

Having built 4 PVC tunnels and I am still using them, consider dropping that space down to 3 feet. It will make it much stronger, especially with 1 inch pipe. If it was 1.5 inch pipe, 4 feet would be ok.

Jay

o

Let me clarify, my hoop house is metal NOT PVC. Makes a big difference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here