Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what goes good with fava beans?

Posted by grow_life none (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 20:24

I know, liver and a nice Chianti. But for growing, I was going to seed them in the hoophouse soon, then follow with yellow summer squash as soon as they are done. Good idea, bad idea, better ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what goes good with fava beans?

That's what I was going to say!

Here is a link that might be useful: fava beans clip

o

I was going to say the same thing and if you grow them successfully you will hear this many times a day at market.

Any hoo, I would not grow them in a tunnel as they need cool/cold weather to be successful and if they get into temps above 85F they will not set beans and will start getting this fungus stuff that turns then black (the entire plant). Grow them outdoors and get them in the ground as early as you can and cover with row cover if it is going to get cold (under freezing) and they should be fine. They are hard to grow if you are in an area that does not have long cool spring such as they have in much of the EU they are very hard to grow. i gave up after 5 years as quality was usually not the best due to the weather warming up too much in April/May when they should have been setting beans and getting harvested.

o

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced the hoophouse won't the best place for favas, Boulderbelt just convinced me. This is my first foray into their world. I hadn't really planned on growing them, but my main restaurant customer wanted some. Said I'd give them a shot and see how they do. Incidentally, his restaurant does have Chianti from time to time. He may have a marketing idea for the spring menu. F..F..F.F..F..F..F

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here