Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planet Jr. for sweet corn?

Posted by txaj So. Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 23, 09 at 20:25

Hi,

I'm thinking of purchasing a Planet Jr. seeder to plant sweet corn, green beans, peas, and a variety of greens. My understanding of these is they're fine for the smaller seeds, but I can't find much information on using them for larger seeds.

I emailed Cole, who I guess is now the manufacturer, but they didn't exactly answer my question on what the spacing would be if planting corn. They said as long as the seed falls through the plate it would work, but corn wasn't listed in the manual, so they couldn't tell me the spacing.

Is anyone using one of these to plant corn or beans? If so, which plate do you use, and what's the spacing in the row?

I have an Earthway, but have always gotten erratic placement with both corn and beans, so I thought I might try something else.

Thanks for any help,

Andy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planet Jr. for sweet corn?

• Posted by budb 8b (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 23, 09 at 21:16

Andy
Can not tell you anything about Planet Jr.....but a dash of
talcum powder in the hopper greatly improves Earthway performance. Be sure to get some powder behind the seed
plate as well. I use a "fleet" of 4 Earthways and all get
the Shower to Shower treatment for all seeds, large or small.
Good Luck!
Bud

o

Andy, Planet Jr's will seed sweetcorn, you will need to use the larger plate and expect to thin the plants by hand to 6"-12" a part... Bob.

o

Andy:I use 50 yr old Planet Jr. Assuming the plates are the same--hole 32-34.Corn seed varies so check size.Seed per yd. check.Place seed in hopper-mark wheel with chalk-hold handles down to raise wheel slightly off ground-open gate & spin wheel 1 revolution at walking speed-Close gale.Count seed.Adjust.

o

• Posted by txaj So. Texas (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 13, 09 at 13:39

Thanks for the replies. I tried the powder in the Earthway, and while the corn and beans aren't up yet, it sure did smell nice in the garden! I'll check the spacings once they're up to see if it helped.

I'll keep my eye out for a decent price on a used Planet Jr, I'd like to find one nearby if possible.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Andy

o

The earthway is actually a bit more sophisticated than the Planet. The planet merely agitates the seed whereas the earthway actually meters it (with little scoops).

When I was doing growing on a commercial scale we were worried that the Planet would not work well with non-round seeds so we we bought the optional brush agitator that actually sweeps past the holes. We had very good luck though I will say that for lettuce we bought pelletized seed.

We never used it with corn since we already had a corn planter, but we did fine with green and wax beens (never tried limas).

Best of luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here