Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Prep/mix potting mix,disinfect pots/trays

Posted by 2fennelshirts 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 20:31

Well almost all my pots and trays are disinfected. I use the 4 ft kids pool for bleach water, put a bunch of pots or trays in the pool all at once- soak 10 to 15 min, take them out and put in more pots or trays, this is a 2 day job or more.
My potting mix box is made out of an old maple syrup pan (6'x3'). I put in all my ingredents (dry) mix up by hand then add water and mix by hand again, ready to sow. When I'm done planting for the day I cover the box with a cut to size piece of plywood, now I have a work bench.
Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Prep/mix potting mix,disinfect pots/trays

Nice system! I'm using a 60 gallon Rubbermaid tote... Needless to say, it takes a LONG time to do. I just do it a batch at a time, right after I finish transplanting or potting up...

o

I found a 4'x4'x2' wooden box on a pallet, lined it with plastic and then used a square point shovel to mix with. Sort of like mixing mortar without a mortar mixer. Hard work, but I had everything.

o

I disinfect them on a hot day in mid summer and then dry, stack and store.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here