Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
calculating height width for tunnels

Posted by veggievicki 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 20:46

I ran across this website that is really handy if you want to figure out sizes for your tunnels. You put in the radius (which would be the height, and also double the radius to get the width of your tunnel) and it will tell you the circumference. If you half the circumference, that will tell you how long your pipe would need to be to get that height and width on your tunnel. You can also change it to calculate the height and width you would get from a certain length pipe. For example if you had a 20 foot pipe, you would double that to get circumference of a full circle (since a tunnel is a half circle) Enter 40, and it will tell you how tall (about 6 foot four) and wide (double your 6 foot 4) your tunnel will be. Kind of cool. I haven't find a website yet that will calculate it from the point of an arc. For example, if I wanted a tunnel 10 foot hight and 16 feet wide, what length would that arc be. Maybe somebody smarter than me knows the formula for that or has found a site.

Here is a link that might be useful: calculating tunnel height and width

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: calculating height width for tunnels

See below for an ellipse calculator. My tunnel will be 9 feet wide and about 3.5 high. As a circle it would be4.5 feet tall 14 feet semi circle, as an ellipse it says just over 10 feet but I cannot believe it. I will cut a 12 foot piece and see how it fits. I ordered the film and row cover 14 feet to allow sandbags.

Here is a link that might be useful: ellipse calculator

o
RE: calculating height width for tunnels

That's the challenge I'm finding, Minnie. Trying to get the optimum tunnel width from the standard size materials. And also figuring in walk paths. I'm still wading through the calculations, but I've about come to the conclusion that it is cost effective to build a sidewall out of wood (most folks would have to use pressure treated but we have a cedar saw mill locally) for the extra height that lets me go wider without going to a third pipe joint. And being able to roll up or remove the sidewalls seems like a real plus.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here