Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerwannabe6

selling lettuces

gardenerwannabe6
15 years ago

I'm planting lettuces - green/red leaf, romain, butterhead- to sell a market this spring. I'd decided not to bag mixes, just sell the whole head. However, I'm realizing that there's more money to be made by bagging the mixes.

I'm wondering if some of you have bagged only red leaf or green leaf and what your customers bought. If you had mixes and bags of only a single variety, what did they buy?? Have you sold full heads and bagged?? Which sold better? I'm just wondering how many options to offer. I'm also growing kale, arugula and spinach to put in some of the mixes.

Last year I only planted one red leaf and so they only had one choice, but it sold very well. I only took about 10 bags each time, but they sold out. I'm planting 2 - 50' beds, so I hope to be able to take much more this year.

Thanks for any experienced words of wisdom!

Comments (7)

• boulderbelt
    15 years ago

I grow and sell spring mix, baby lettuce and heads of lettuce. I bag everything as it lasts through a market much, much better than greens exposed to drying wind. I find my lettuce sells best if I do a mix of 2 to 3 different kinds in a bag. I call this Lettuce Medley and it sells much better than bags with only one type of lettuce. perhaps if I were growing only green leaf and red leaf I would do better with single types but I generally have 9 to 15 different heirlooms and since most people have no idea what the different lettuces are they find it nice that I have chosen for them.

• herbgardener
    15 years ago

I sell a mixed lettuce - as many colours as I can get. I also grow a mild mesculun mix in which I add to the mixed lettuce. The mesculun gives it a bit of fullness. I also sell bagged baby arugula on it's own - also a great seller.
    The first year I was washing the lettuces prior to bagging - too much work and also the lettuce doesn't last as long. Now I pick the night before, refrigerate and sell the next day. Be sure to mark on your bag to wash prior to using.

• herbgardener
    15 years ago

I sell a mixed lettuce - as many colours as I can get. I also grow a mild mesculun mix in which I add to the mixed lettuce. The mesculun gives it a bit of fullness. I also sell bagged baby arugula on it's own - also a great seller.
    The first year I was washing the lettuces prior to bagging - too much work and also the lettuce doesn't last as long. Now I pick the night before, refrigerate and sell the next day. Be sure to mark on your bag to wash prior to using.

• boulderbelt
    15 years ago

i have to disagree on the washing. I find that greens I wash than get into refrigeration ASAP last about 14 days longer than greens i do not wash (I have done side by side tests in several different fridges). But you do have to wash in salt water and adding vinegar makes it even better (and this combo will separate the slugs from the greens). You do have to get the green dry before packing or the water in the bag will cause rot withing 3 to 4 days. i use a commercial salad spinner which costs over $150. You can go much cheaper and use a string laundry bag which you fill with wet greens and swing over your head. I did this for a year until my rotator cuff got inflamed and was way too painful to continue. So I bought the salad spinner and found that the spinner got the greens about 75% drier and cut my time down a lot (I believe it took 4 to 5 times longer to use the bag method).

• gardener1908
    15 years ago

boulderbelt where did you order your salad spinner

• boulderbelt
    15 years ago

It was from an on-line restaurant supply dealer. Do not get these via a farming catalog as they are about 50% more that way.

Google "Dynamic salad Spinner" and you should get a lot of hits.

• gardenerwannabe6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for your helpful posts. I think I've decided to bag it. I appreciate your salad spinner info., boulderbelt. I just googled and found the 5 gal one on sale for $99...woo hoo!! Can't pass that one up. I really do appreciate all of the helpful words from all you more experienced growers!

Happy growing.......