Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eggs. Poultry. Fish

Posted by veggievicki 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 22:37

At our market you can bring eggs if they haven't been refrigerated. Not sure why. I'm going to try some chicken tractors this summer as they got snapped up and only a few people brought them. I've been reading as much as I can on micro farming and it would seem meat birds and fish are good revenue. If I'm understanding correctly sold through CSA doesn't require inspections And or special permits? Does that carry over to farmers market?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eggs. Poultry. Fish

Only if they sell through YOUR CSA which is exactly the same as selling anything in any manner directly from your farm. If you want to sell through another person's CSA than they better have the permits and set up to sell meat, fish and eggs on their property from others. in Ohio that means you have to have a retail food establishment license as in Ohio this is considered reselling meat, dairy, etc..

I know if you want to sell meat at any farmers market in the country you have to have the animal(s) killed at either a state or UDSA inspected slaughter house and you will likely have to have a freezer or electric fridge to store the meat while selling at an FM. Check with your county health person and dept of Agriculture as these rules are different from state to state and sometimes county to county.

o

The vendor next to me sells Alaskan salmon he catches on fishing trips. He pays to have it processed and also has a freezer truck with a generator at market.

Selling live fish, typically to restaurant chefs, is one way to get around the health department rules.

o

Thanks. After much Internet searching I've unearthed that in Arkansas I need a twenty five dollar permit to sell fish live and a well basically a commercial kitchen complete with employee restroom if I want to sell cleaned fish. I don't know how these guys are including dressed meats in their CSAs and making a profit from it. They're all pretty keen on rabbits, too and I don't know a soul who eats rabbit meat.

o

rabbit is very popular at our market. people come looking for the vendor who sells it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here