Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prmsdlndfrm

check this out earthtoolsbcs.com

prmsdlndfrm
14 years ago

I ran across this site and it made me think of all you great folks here that intensively grow on limited acreage. Its a site for two wheeled tractors, the largest 11 hp diesel only cost $5400, and the implements are amazing, from plows to plastic mulch and drip tape laying machines, fertilizer and lime spreaders, bulldozer blades, front loaders and 4x4 dump carts that attatch. These were developed in italy around WW2 and are used extensively on thier small mt farms. They even have hay mowers and mini balers, its amazing, virtualy anything I can do with full size tractors they can do, just smaller scale, they even have riding sulkys that fit on behind, the machines mow, bushhog, and cultivate. I think some of you could benifit from something like this.

earthtoolsbcs.com

josh

Comments (7)

• teauteau
    14 years ago

I had the BCS 732. They are little workhorses. I bought it used from an older gentleman who couldn't use it anymore. Got a good deal on it. $1,000. Some of the older models, the engineering is not efficient and you have to reconfigure the machine in order to use it as a different machine. For instance, to use the sicklebar, you had to disconnect the plow, unlock a pivot section and turn the handles opposite of where they were and then attach the sickle bar to where the PTO is. This was usually a major undertaking. Could have just been my machine. I did like it and I used the sickle bar as a bush hog and saved myself a lot of money. The plow was powerful and work was accomplished quickly.

• boulderbelt
    14 years ago

We use 2 BCS walking tractors a 10hp and a 14hp. very nice machines. The ten HP we got for $210 at an auction and it had about $1200 worth of add ons that we could not afford when we bought the 14hp new (back in 1996 or so)

The Earth tool folks are good people and knowledgeable, though that is not where we got our BCS's

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    14 years ago

I have looked at these before and I thought about buying one instead of a small tractor. However, I would prefer to buy a used one. However, I have never seen any for sale in this area.

Jay

• prmsdlndfrm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jay, one of these walk behind tractors may be just the ticket for working in a hoophouse, Im thinking on that level for myself, I was reading that they even have potatoe planting and digging equipment.
    josh

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

How about a Gravely? My dad had one of the older, workhorse type with a plow, brush cutter, blade, and even a sicle bar attachments. Tip for using them, you don't forcibly turn them, more like you coax them into going where you want them to go. Otherwise, you will have huge arms of steel. If you buy one, find an OLD one. The newer ones don't have the same amount of power, something to do with ratio.

• timmylaz
    14 years ago

I garden with the BCS 948. First, since the post is started about "earhttools" Before I ordered the BCS I had lot's of questions..the folks at earthtools are the gurus on the BCS...they were so helpful...and I wasn't even their customer! I ended up buying from a local dealer(even though they don't stock them) instead of earthtools for the shipping cost saved. earthtools also has the motherload of attachments for the BCS...
    Now about the BCS...I garden, well, now, about 1.5 acres intensely while cover cropping, undercropping and such to build the soil. The BCS is GREAT. One of the greatest advantages for us on the small acreage plan is the turn on a dime radius, you lose a lot of space turning and driving a 4 wheel tractor. The adjustable depth is great too, deep for tilling or shallow for cultivating. I only bought the tiller attachment and the hiller/furrower to go along with it. Pretty easy to use, so to speak. However, I say that cautiously as a 40ish young man. This thing is made of steel and will work your muscles as such. After the first two months with the BCS my shoulders and biceps became rock solid. So, when I say easy to use, keep in mind that it doesn't come with a seat or stearing wheel. I don't know about the Gravely except from what I've seen it is quite similar in concept to the BCS... these things have power, be careful!!

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

The gravelys also have a sulkey that has a seat on it. Of course, it doesn't work as easily with it for plowing, hilling. But it does make mowing large areas easier. Yes, they have ALOT of power, enough to get into trouble if not careful. But also enough to WORK very hard.