Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kyhunly

Ritzy Beans

kyhunly
15 years ago

Just wondering if any of you all had any experience with the so-called "gourmet" beans? Like Tema, Jade, and the like. How do they do at market and is there any difference pricewise? Kentucky Wonder is the bomb for me, and the standbys like Provider and Blue Lake, but I can't help but wonder if maybe I should play around with these beauty queens. And other than the catalogs' high-falutin mumbo jumbo, can't really find out much info out there about them. Thanks, Susan

Comments (7)

• bagardens (Ohio, Zone 5b)
    15 years ago

I would suggest that if you are going to try a new type of bean you should try something other than a green bean. Last year I sold Blue Lake and I also sold yellow wax beans. People seemed to get real excited when they saw my yellow beans, and they almost sold out every time. Do people at your market seem to like to try new different things? If they do, like my customers, you might do well selling different colored beans. This year I was also planning on growing some purple and don't remember the name but ones that are green with purple stripes. I also am considering growing some yard long beans (Red Noodle). Last year my beans sold very well, so I am excited to try many new kinds of beans this year and see how they all sell.

I can't tell you from experience but I would think that most regular people buying vegetables would not know one type of green bean from another unless the taste was that much better than the normal varieties. I wouldn't think that you would be able to get too much more for Tema and Jade then you would Kentucky Wonder and Blue Lake. But that is just my guess. I guess it could be worth a try, you could always sell them for the same price as your regular green beans if no one shows any interest in them. You haven't really got anything to loose.

If you are looking for more info on different kinds of vegetables I linked a site below that is great for finding out what others experiences were with growing different vegetables. The link is for Jade's rating page but you can find ratings on a lot of other vegetables too. Just go to Browse Crops to look up anything else you are interested in.

Here is a link that might be useful: vegetable ratings site

• wyobluesky
    15 years ago

thanks for the link! Very cool to see stuff from my state!

• boulderbelt
    15 years ago

I grow a lot of haricot verts and they are my most popular seller. Wax beans I grow but they are not a great seller but the Romas (the best bean ever) are a pretty good seller. I also grow regular green beans which are great sellers

• kyhunly
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, guys.

I guess my problem comes in that I hate to grow what I won't eat. I'm gonna have to, I know, but I just cringe to think of what I'm gonna say when that first customer comes up, and says "Hey, what's the difference between this yellow zucchini and the green one?" Uh, one makes me puke less than the other? Gotta work on that. Sorry, off the subject. Anyway, I love the old standbys that you just throw a ham hock in and they melt in your mouth. So thanks, for the tip about the wax beans. I hadn't figured them in because of an unfortunate incident at Monticello as a kid between myself and a plate of pickled beans. (Didn't know they were pickled.) Haven't touched a wax bean since. Don't know how they would sell at my markets, but disregarding the fact that many people here haven't been to Monticello, so they might eat them, just having them there to brighten up the green would be worth it.
    Somebody here also tipped about selling Royal Burgundy as "magic beans" because of the color change. Don't know about the markets, but it sure got my kids attention, and wonder of wonders, they actually ate something besides the tomatoes out of the garden last year.

• bagardens (Ohio, Zone 5b)
    15 years ago

I know just how you feel about selling what you don't like. I feel the same way about tomatoes. Except they all make me puke equally! And I thought about growing a bunch of different kinds of heirloom tomatoes this year. What was I thinking? Good thing I changed my mind on that one. I guess when people were to ask me the differences between them I could always say you have to buy one of each and find out for yourself. Not sure to many people would like that suggestion though.

• scavengingangel
    14 years ago

Lucy, I'd love to hear your experience with growing haricourt vertes--I am planning on growing them for the first time next year. I have the most delicious recipe for them that even made a green bean lover out of my non-veggie eating husband :)

1lb beans
    3 shallots, large diced
    2 Tbsp butter
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper

Blanch beans 1.5min. Drain/ice bath/drain. Saute shallots in butter/oil 5min. Stir in beans and salt and pepper heat just until beans are hot.
    YUM!

• hanselmanfarms
    14 years ago

I regularly grow and sell, green beans, yellow (wax) beans and purple beans. The green outsell all others. My customer actually ask what variety, because there is a difference between the varieties. Pole beans, like Kentucky Wonder, don't sell as well, but easier to pick. The purple beans are harder to sell, I tell customer that the purple beans are "green beans for dummies". They turn green after cooked. If they are still purple, they are not done cooking.

I have sold many varieties of beans, from skinny to plump. The old fashion varieties will plump more than the newer varieties. Most of the newer varieties need to be picked in the thinner stage. I have customers for both.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington