Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

Planted Green Beans today

Call me crazy, but with the soil temps hitting 58 to 60 degrees and highs in the 75 to 80's all week and lows in 50-55's. I pulled the trigger and planted green beans. I found a bunch of volunteers growing, so I figure it must be time. I figure seed is fairly cheap and I only put out 200 row feet, but Green Beans planted on March 25th in Kansas is unheard of!

Strange weather! Peppers, Zucchini and Cucumber transplants are going in next week in a movable tunnel and stationary one. At this rate of planting, I will have lots of stuff to pick in May and June!

Jay

Comments (9)

• magz88
    12 years ago

Right on, Jay, I would say that it is definitely worth the risk.

• brookw_gw
    12 years ago

I hear you. For the first time in 4 years, we have not been drowning, and I could actually get spring crops in easily. I just finished this weekend w/peas and immediately thought, "Why not beans?" I also considered early squash under some low tunnels for the blossoms if nothing else. I already started selling asparagus this week and will be offering up rhubarb soon. If it weren't for all the trees I didn't get cut this winter, I'd almost feel relaxed. I force myself to get 2 cut down and sawed up every night. The leaves are coming on very quickly.

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

Jay, I beat you. I planted some last week and they're up. Figured that if they survive I'll be super early, if not, I'm out just a few seeds. Planted 2 varieties, both dark seeds.

also need to transplant LOTS of my beets, anyone have success with that? I've got probably 10-15 trays equivalent to transplant. Old seed, wasn't sure if they would germinate, so I planted heavier than I needed.

Marla

• rustico_2009
    12 years ago

Marla,
    I have done fine three years in a row, just heavily seeding beets in deep pots or in the starter beds in the fall and transplanting them bare root. I always do this in a cool period. I make a deep gap with a trowel drop the root in the soil then remove the trowel and let the soil collapse around the root and water. I have done that three times this year with success and took a pot to the school garden where they did it and got good beets too. Sometime I feed them fish fert a few days before transplanting and at transplanting sometimes I don't.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marla,

I would have planted them last week, but it rained/drizzled/sprinkled/showered every day last week (Monday-Friday). I was surprised it was dry enough on Monday.

Jay

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

I've transplanted several into 1203s, my garden isn't ready yet.

I planted the green beans inside the hoop house. Some of our Amish pre=plant their green beans. I've also started some sweet corn, mainly to see if the year-old seed was viable (it was). I've also started pumpkins, squash (winter and summer), ornamental corn, cantaloupe, watermelon and almost every seed that I had on the shelf (again mainly for germination factor), then I'll transplant out into the garden.

Marla

• 2fennelshirts
    12 years ago

I've been doing my beets as transplanters for the last 2 yrs, I plant them kind-da like rustico, only I use a 10" long steal tool thing, tapered from 1/2"round to a point-punch tool(the one you would use to line up two holes to get a bolt in place, whatever you call that thing)I put a piece of duct tape around it to mark my depth, works great! I planted 16 trays=960ft row of (1 lb) sugar snap peas , 13 trays=780ft row of (1 lb) snow peas and 16 trays=960ft row of (1 lb) shelling peas yesterday. The trays I use are the ones that hold 18-3" sq pots (size ? I got them FREE, 400 of them) I put 3 double rows of seed in each tray, each row has 36 seed (108 seeds per tray) each tray plants a 5ft row. All are for tpansplanting when they are about 6"-8" tall. I'll sow more later in the ground for fall. I took pic's of these trays, but since I never posted pic's before,I'll try to, you never know, I might be posting pic's all the time. Jay, I know someone who does their peas in half pvc pipes, like you do with your onions, then they transplant.
    Deb

• suburbangreen
    12 years ago

I finally planted my green beans Sunday, but I'm in Texas. I actually planted tomatoes, peppers, and cuc. family plants a couple weeks ago. Due to the warm weather, I opened up my CSA Sunday---two weeks early.

I like beet transplants because I don't have to thin. The roots get big because they never have to compete with other seedlings.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.354152767960341.75145.198942070148079&type=3

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

Thanks for the support about the beets, i usually don't even get them to germinate, let alone develop beets.

Marla

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County