Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Onion/Garlic Wheel-Dibbler

Posted by 12g87 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 4:21

This will be my 3rd year growing for market. I have been searching for a better way to plant our onions from sets. I have seen the hand held dibblers online but needed a faster way to make the holes (this year we will be planting 6,000 onions).

I designed a hole dibbler to make 1"x1" holes, 1" deep. It is a wheel with inserted dibbles on the outside which can be removed and blank inserts put in to change the spacing of holes. It will make 2", 4", 6" 8" 12" and 24" spacing between plants. It replaces the back wheel of my Earthway planter to make the holes.

Here are a few pictures of the building process. I started with a 8" diameter by 3" piece of 6061 T6 aluminum for the wheel and 3 pieces of 1.5" by 1.5" by 12" pieces for the dibbles.

All parts were machined on Vertical Milling Machines. I then used a sand blaster to remove debris and prep the surface. To finish the wheel I used an at home powder coating gun and a toaster oven to bake it in.

photo 20140311_220348_zpsd4afe942.jpg

photo 20140312_002119_zpsaf25adb5.jpg

photo 20140318_231614_zps8ec0d0dd.jpg

photo 20140322_161508_zps71fff482.jpg

photo 20140322_154157_zpsaf7d2f49.jpg

photo 20140322_153700_zpsd9955109.jpg

photo 20140322_185239_zps5645225a.jpg

photo 20140322_202948_zps6c866181.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Onion/Garlic Wheel-Dibbler

Wow, nice work. Have you taken it for a spin in the field? Looks like it would perform really well.

If I had had metalworking skills like that I don't know if I'd be farming! Or at least I'd have a heap of better tools. Still, I guess I can wait for 3D printing to get more affordable?

o

And I felt like a genius putting two wooden wheels on the end of a piece of half inch conduit to make a rolling seed funnel.

o

I've tried it out in the garden already. Work well. Looks like it will be nice enough to plant some onions this weekend so should get a good test trial in.

o

I've seen old yard rollers being modified like this, only have have a 'wide' row. Plus you can have the weight, just not the planting part.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here