Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boston3381

Hens and Chicks Sempervivum

boston3381
13 years ago

hi all i picked up abought 288 plugs of Hens and Chicks Sempervivum, they been transplanted into 72-cell trays and abought 1/4 to 1/2 inch in size.

i have never sold them befor and was looking for a way to market them. they will be sold from a road-side stand that sells hanging baskets,flowers,annuals and perennials.

was thinking abought putting some in 6-pack trays or 4 inch pots???

also was thinking to put some in 8 or 10 inch glazed pots as a indoor/outdoor rock garden. if so what plant or grass would go nice with this??

Any suggestion?

Comments (7)

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

I got some Hen and Chicks a couple of years ago, I sold them in 4" pots. After I sold all I could, the rest were put into 6" azalea pots.

Marla

• Pudge 2b
    13 years ago

For several years I sold 'rock garden' containers that contained a mix of semps and sedum. It's important to use a well draining mix, make sure your containers have drainage holes, and use a rock mulch to ensure the semps don't rot. Google images 'succulent containers' for some ideas.

• boston3381
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for the input..pudge do you still sell containers of semps and sedums?? any pics of them??

also, are you growing them from seed.. if so where do you get your seed from?.US or Canada..

• Pudge 2b
    13 years ago

I'm taking this year off from market, but those containers have been such good sellers for me that I certainly will sell them again when I return.

I do not grow from seed. I have quite a few semps, some very large plantings, and so I thin and take starts from my garden, starting new plants. I have a spare raised bed filled with sedum starts - cuttings that I've rooted - that I can divide and use for the containers. With some advance, planning the containers can cost almost nothing to put together.

This is the only photo I have - it's kind of difficult to make out the containers against the crushed rock. I've used 3 sizes - shallow rectangular, small (6") round and larger round.

• boston3381
    Original Author
    13 years ago

very nice pudge..i can see all the containers in the pic .. if you dont mind me asking your in Canada?? if so do all your semps and sedum stay out all winter?? also how much do you charge per pot?

• Pudge 2b
    13 years ago

Yes, I am in Canada, in zone 2 Saskatchewan and the semps and hardy sedum winter just fine. The trickiest part is ensuring they do not sit in cold wet conditions during the spring thaw.

My prices were between $15 and $20

• boston3381
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you pudge , sry i didnt respond till now been working my but off and forgot abought this post...ty again

P.S. i been watching this post "Succulents which propagate rapidly in the North" its in Cacti & Succulents Forum ..

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets