Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hens and Chicks Sempervivum

Posted by boston3381 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 1, 11 at 6:44

hi all i picked up abought 288 plugs of Hens and Chicks Sempervivum, they been transplanted into 72-cell trays and abought 1/4 to 1/2 inch in size.

i have never sold them befor and was looking for a way to market them. they will be sold from a road-side stand that sells hanging baskets,flowers,annuals and perennials.

was thinking abought putting some in 6-pack trays or 4 inch pots???
also was thinking to put some in 8 or 10 inch glazed pots as a indoor/outdoor rock garden. if so what plant or grass would go nice with this??

Any suggestion?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hens and Chicks Sempervivum

I got some Hen and Chicks a couple of years ago, I sold them in 4" pots. After I sold all I could, the rest were put into 6" azalea pots.

Marla

o

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 9, 11 at 22:36

For several years I sold 'rock garden' containers that contained a mix of semps and sedum. It's important to use a well draining mix, make sure your containers have drainage holes, and use a rock mulch to ensure the semps don't rot. Google images 'succulent containers' for some ideas.

o

thanks for the input..pudge do you still sell containers of semps and sedums?? any pics of them??

also, are you growing them from seed.. if so where do you get your seed from?.US or Canada..

o

Thu, Mar 10, 11 at 20:48

I'm taking this year off from market, but those containers have been such good sellers for me that I certainly will sell them again when I return.

I do not grow from seed. I have quite a few semps, some very large plantings, and so I thin and take starts from my garden, starting new plants. I have a spare raised bed filled with sedum starts - cuttings that I've rooted - that I can divide and use for the containers. With some advance, planning the containers can cost almost nothing to put together.

This is the only photo I have - it's kind of difficult to make out the containers against the crushed rock. I've used 3 sizes - shallow rectangular, small (6") round and larger round.

Photobucket

o

very nice pudge..i can see all the containers in the pic .. if you dont mind me asking your in Canada?? if so do all your semps and sedum stay out all winter?? also how much do you charge per pot?

o

Sat, Mar 12, 11 at 22:43

Yes, I am in Canada, in zone 2 Saskatchewan and the semps and hardy sedum winter just fine. The trickiest part is ensuring they do not sit in cold wet conditions during the spring thaw.

My prices were between $15 and $20

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

thank you pudge , sry i didnt respond till now been working my but off and forgot abought this post...ty again

P.S. i been watching this post "Succulents which propagate rapidly in the North" its in Cacti & Succulents Forum ..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here