Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skatcon

starting in plug trays

skatcon
13 years ago

Previous years I have always started in ground, or in peat pellets, or in flats without divisions. As my business is growing it seemed plug trays would be more economical. So I started lettuce seedlings in a plug with 128 cells in it.They reached the stage of having four true leaves on them. Ithought I would move them to the high tunnel even though it is still pretty cold here. Well, I can't get them out of the cells.

The root systems don't fill the cell, not even close. The seeds were planted about 20 days ago.

So, have I not let them grow long enough? Or could I have kept them to dry?

Can someone give me a brief primer on how to grow in plug trays? I have a range from 288 to 50's. Which types of plants go in which? How long do they stay in the trays? How do I determine too wet or too dry? Can I actually overwater? I have already found that it is easy to underwater.

I really appreciate any help. In my old age I realize how much easier it is to learn from someone else's experience rather than taking years to get my own.

Cabin fever reigns supreme here in north central Minnesota, but at least the sun has been shining some recently. I envy folks who are actually able to see dirt outside.

Kathy

Comments (5)

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

I leave them in the plug trays until they appear to be root bound - need watering almost daily. I let me peas go three weeks and thought they had filled the plugs (200-cell) but when I transplanted them I had to be very careful or the roots would separate from the mix.

IME, it is nearly impossible to overwater them, if you water from the bottom. I have (stupidly!) forgot about a tray of plants in a tub of water, gone back the next morning to find a soaking tray. Remove it, let it drain and it is good to go.

Mike

• skatcon
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Mike
    I think I have not been watering enough. Bottom watering sounds like a good solution. Top watering I couldn't tell what was soaking in and what was running off. And definitely leaving them to grow longer.
    Kathy

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

What I do is, place a 1020 No Hole under my plants to catch the water. As long as I let them get dry occassionally, and then water again, it's worked for me. I started doing it this way when I had to pack water for everything.

Marla

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

Another way to get good roots is to use something like Tomato-tone (3-4-6 with microbes). I add a tbsp. per gallon of water and then add that gallon to another gallon of water (or so). Use it every other week. Most of the Nitrate is not water soluble but if you have enough carbon products to add, the residue is great in compost.

Mike

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

I just use plain water, preferably rain water. I do use Miracle Grow potting soil with the water control feature. After the plants are ready to go into large pots, gallons or more, I'll use some compost and fertilize in the water every other week.

Marla

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022