Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan44_gw

printable plant tags

jan44
19 years ago

I am looking to see if there exists a tag that can be fed through an inkjet printer (I have 2 Epsons). I would like something that's heavy enough to stick in the pot, if something like that even exists. Anyone have a source? Thanks!

Comments (13)

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    19 years ago

The closest thing I can recommend is to use the Avery Name Badge labels and stick them in plastic jackets. I glue plastic jackets to plastic sticks for the greens, herbs and bunched produce and glue them to wooden pincher clothespins for the boxed and bin produce. To be honest I've been making up so many new tags each week that plain cut card stock has worked better for me. The computer labels allow you to print recipes, pictures and other info in a neat fashion for your display. I usually make those messages larger and laminate them for reuse. For the plastic jackets I've been using baseball card jackets, available at hobbie stores. They are stiff and hold up well.

• ohiorganic
    19 years ago

I don't do plant sales but a friend of mine does and she prints address labels and sticks those on plastic plant tags. It looks very nice and professional. She has a laser printer which means the inks don't run when wet. I don't know what to do about inkjet ink that does run badly when wet

• kydaylilylady
    19 years ago

You might try Integracolor. Their toll free number is 800-933-9511. I'm sure that you could run a web search and come up with their website. I order slip thru tags for daylilies from them.

Janet

• lindaa
    18 years ago

Log on to www.rippedsheets.com. They should have what you are looking for and if they don't they will custom order materials for you.

• hedwig
    17 years ago

inkjet printers are not printing water resistant as far as I know. So you should protect the things with plastic. I do it with simple book cover. a laminator would be better shure.

• attemptedgardener
    17 years ago

I found some for a dot matrix printer, but decided to use address labels this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.mnsinc.cc/printing.htm

• sailspin_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Yes simple answer take avery label of choose print with inkjet then spray with any clear acrylic spray stick to pot and bingo. Or spend 500.00 and buy a low end printer to print on plastic plant tags.

• little_minnie
    13 years ago

Oh man the stickers are no problem for me - the printer is. I work at a grocery store in pricing and can get sheets of labels when one is used off of it. They are awesome for sticking and removing! But my home printer can't print on them- only my work printer.

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

It's the ink that will 'bleed', you need to use a 'water resistant' ink. Not all inks are.

Minnie, can you just play with your computer printing program, may Office??

Marla

• henhousefarms
    13 years ago

We struggled with plant labels as we grew. We did hand printed, then got an adjustable type stamp and water-proof ink (which was not very sucessful) then found the golden ticket. There is a company called Online Labels that sells waterproof inkjet labels that work like a dream. The labels stick great and the printing stays on and readable even when wet (there are some pot stickers outside now that have been there since last spring and still look great. We use OL25 for plastic plant stakes - the labels are 1/2" tall and 1 3/4" long and fit perfectly. They have free templates on the website for Word and several other programs. They worked so well that we now are using the same type of labels on our cider jugs (albiet in a much larger size). One trick I have found is to change the print quality setting on your printer to draft. On normal print my printer put out too much ink and the labels had to sit overnight and dry but in draft they did not.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant stake labels

• cowpie51
    13 years ago

I use sour cream containers cut in strips from top to bottom about a 1/2 inch wide and about 4 inches long, for my plant label sticks and pricing. Mark

• sandy0225
    12 years ago

gemplers has printable laser jet labels. We used them this year and they were great. the only problem is they're pricey.

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

I don't have a lexmark, I found that I was spending TOO much ink for the Lexmark printer. I've moved on to a HP8500A. Yes it's an expensive printer, but the price per page is less than laser and it's color, along with fax, copy and scanning ability.

Marla