Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myfamilysfarm

selling veggie plants at craft fair

myfamilysfarm
14 years ago

Has anyone tried this? I've been informed of a craft fair nearby and wondered if it might be worth it. The booth rental is $25/space.

Thanks,

Marla

Comments (9)

• HerbLady49
    14 years ago

My biggest success has been with herbs.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Grow Basil for a Plant Sale

• myfamilysfarm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, the sale is at the end of the month. I'm not sure what I could plant now, with still overnight freezing temps. We were just notified today.

• gardengal11
    14 years ago

I tried to sell vegetables at a flea market one year and was very unsuccessful. You may want to get some others people's advice before or you may possibly waste your day. If you do choose to sell, I wish you much luck!

• myfamilysfarm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the wishes. I'm afraid I won't make the booth fee. I probably won't waste the day. Maybe I'll be able to get into the ground to plant some early stuff.

• myfamilysfarm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Changed my mind, I'm going to try it. We will have eggs and plants. Now, does anyone have any ideas for things that I might be able to grow from seed/sets in 3 weeks.

• gardener1908
    14 years ago

How about lettuces, they usually grow pretty fast. 3 weeks doesn't give a lot of time. Maybe some early spring herbs. Good Luck, it will be close.

• bagardens (Ohio, Zone 5b)
    14 years ago

Radishes, onion sets for scallions, and dwarf pak choi matures fast. I grew some dwarf pak choi last year, they were really cute. Just beware of slugs and flea beetles. My first early planting did ok but when I tried to plant a second planting they did not have a chance. You may be able to get some lettuces, if not in 3 weeks then soon after. Spinach may be a good thing also, I think mine is usually ready before my lettuces are ready. Beets are fairly quick also, not quite 3 weeks though. But you could sell the thinnings as baby beets, they would be ready in 3 weeks. That is all I can think of for now.

• tommyk
    14 years ago

In our town we have a Town-Wide yard sale on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. Whatever plants, seedlings, etc. left over from our spring sales are taken to the yardsale where we set up at the Town Library. We make approximately 1/4 of our sales on that one day!

We've been doing this for a number of years so we know it's successful, but I would check with others to see if plants are in demand at the craft fair.

Three week's is cutting it short to get any plants to sellable size, but hey, give it a shot and if you are successful you'll know you can do it next year and hopefully you'll have a little more notice to get plants to a sellable size.

• myfamilysfarm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is a new craft sale, first year. Only 5 people have signed up so far, now the coordinator is considering holding off for another 3 weeks, so I would have about 5-6 weeks. My plants are doing well, and I should be able to have alittle bit of produce. If this happens, my sales would start 2 weeks earlier than the regular time, I think it could work.

Sponsored