Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lettuce seeds or weeds seeds ?

Posted by gardener1908 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 7, 09 at 11:34

I will be growing lettuce & greens in a 32ft. x 50ft. hoophouse. The ground is weeds and grass. We will be preparing the beds for growing. I purchased mix greens & lettuce mixes. How will I know for sure which are the mixes sprouting & which are weed seeds sprouting? I don't want to put weeds in my mixes. I wish now I would have purchased larger quanties of single seeds and then I would know if a different "something" came up it would need to be pulled. I don't want to spend another $100.00 + on more seeds, any help would be appreciated. Feeling dumb. LOL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lettuce seeds or weeds seeds ?

The seeds you plant will be in rows, the weeds may be in the rows as well but they will also be everywhere else. You can start learning what weed seedlings look like by doing some hand weeding in the areas where you are positive you did not plant lettuce seed. you can also wait about a week after the lettuce has sprouted and than it is pretty easy to tell what's a crop and what's not

o

boulderbelt, I did think of that and that's probaly what I'll have to do. I was just going to scatter them thickly and cut when small. But it beats spending any more money on seeds.

o

I learned long ago that you really need to plant this stuff in rows about 2" wide and than have 6" to 8" between the rows so you can get 3 to 4 rows in a 4' wide bed. The rows need to be far enough apart to easily get a hoe in there so that weeding does not consume hours of your day trying to keep the salad bed clean (and they do need to be clean, especially if selling to chefs).

Plus I have found that most of the greens do better with some space on either side. When I have done dense planting I always seem to have portions damp off, leaving holes in the bed and a place for weeds to take hold.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here