Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Early planting, et cetera

Posted by little_minnie 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 11:39

Well my best case scenario plan for planting dates this spring was to throw in some pea and spinach and maybe carrot seed this Friday 3/29. That is not going to happen, but I think my dates will just be 2 weeks off this year. And perhaps by the end of April everything will be on the proposed schedule. UNLIKE LAST YEAR! The temps have been below average here and the snow is so high especially in drifts and edges that it will take a long time to melt it. With my sand I think I can really push the first seedings. It is hard to remember exactly how I left everything in fall but I think it should be pretty quick this spring to prep the early beds. Then I will start hauling manure for other beds. It is raining right now but 5 inches of snow is possible this afternoon. ugh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Early planting, et cetera

You're in Minnesota, right?

Crazy spring here, but not as bad as last year when we had snow on the ground into May and residual snowbanks in the third week of May! Most of the snow is gone already (dry winter) and we're waiting for winter's last blast arriving tomorrow with a low of -5 F forecast for Monday morning. After that, it should warm into the upper 40s by next weekend. I'm itching to get stuff in the ground. Swiss chard and beets are scheduled to be transplanted into the high tunnels on Tuesday, a full 3 weeks earlier than last year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here