Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 12:23

Now you see it....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: High tunnel moving day

Now you don't !

o

I spent 6 hours on Sunday taking down the high tunnel. It was much easier than expected. A cordless impact driver was the tool for the job. I was also able to pull the ground posts. A chain, 10-12 foot steel pipe and the knowledge of a second class lever (being a science teacher came in handy) and a strong will, I was able to pull them all. After about 30 or so times, I was running out of gas!

Loaded everything up but the bows, baseboards and endwall pieces. I will get those home this week, I hope!

Jay

o

wonderful, now to get it back up at home.

o

"It was much easier than expected. A cordless impact driver was the tool for the job"

Told you so! Glad to hear I was right.

o

It took a long time to remove the baseboards and wiggle wire strips, the stuff in the air came down fast.

The owner came out and we had 5 bows left and we had been working about 2 hours. He was surprised. I guess he put it up with a wrench and a ratchet.

I am still not crazy about the ground posts. I wish they went deeper into the ground. I guess I will put some cement around the end ones and several in the middle. But I know what kind of weather this frame has endured and it hadn't moved, so maybe I should keep that in mind too.

Jay

o

how long are the ground posts? its a nice looking tunnel. its great how fast the payback is on those things.

o

The ground posts are 3 feet long. I would have loved to see a 4 or 5 foot ground post. That is what I put in with my other tunnel. Maybe I will just dig some post holes and bury some 4 foot 4 by 4's and bolt them to the baseboard. That would help hold better.

Jay

o

Good job, Jay,

Congratulation on the new tunnel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here