Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seed sources

Posted by KristenMarie Z4-5/New Mexico (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 25, 05 at 12:30

Hi ya'll, I don't post much over here but would be grateful for some advice. Where do you all buy your seed? I'm interested in : heirloom and unique varieties of cool-climate vegetables -- greens and more greens, root crops (carrots beets turnips parsnips), onions, shallots, etc.

All the cool heirloom catalogues are pricey which really gets expensive if you're doing market gardening.

Thoughts? What are your best seed sources for slightly larger quantities of seed...

Kristen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seed sources

Harvest Moon, We order from them lots of heirllom lots of seeds in a pack for a good price . Set up mostly for small farms

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvest Moon

o

I bought nearly all of my heirloom this year from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. So far so good. And terrific customer service to boot. The only fault I can find with them is that when you order on-line they don't tell you if something is out of stock or not. When you receive your order, if anything was out of stock they enclose a refund check - which is nice, but you lose time when you then have to go searching elsewhere for the out-of-stock stuff.

o

Johnny's, Stokes, Harris, Territorial, High Mowing, etc.

o

not necessarily all that many heirlooms, but incredibly low prices on many vegetable seeds is Chesmore seed in Missouri. Some of their quantities are large, just store the seed carefully for next year and do a germination test in the fall.

Broccoli-greensprouting- $1/oz
Florida or Southern Giant Mustard- $1.25/ for 1/4 lb.
Noble Giant Spinach- $1.86/1/2 lb
Cylindra beet-$3.50 for 1/2 lb
bush bean RomaII- $6.35 for 5 lbs.
Batavian Endive- $2.50 for 1/4 lb

I was very happy with their product and they came through on two back-ordered items.

They have an extensive catalog, and you need to check back as they begin picking your order to make sure they have everything in stock. It's getting a little late to start ordering seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chesmore seed

o

I also like Baker Creek Hairloom Seeds (rareseed.com).
Great selection, price and customer service.

o

seeds of change. i mention them because they are also in
new mexico.

o

try willhite seeds in tx. , good prices on bulk and great service. willhiteseeds.com
watermelon kings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here