Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
derock_gw

Multi-Plant Soil Blocks/Cells

derock_gw
12 years ago

I am experimenting with multi-plant soil blocks/cells this year (as discussed by Eliot Coleman in his book - The New Organic Grower).

I am going to plant them though plastic mulch.

Do any of you have experience with the size of hole I should make in the plastic for the transplants at planting time? Should the hole start small and be enlarged as the plants grow? Or should I start out with a finish size hole and weed as required?

I am trying this new method (for me) with beets, turnips, slicing onions, bunching onions, and spinach.

For those of you who don't know about this technique you can read more about it at the link below (towards the end of the article)

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil Blocks and Multi Plant Blocks

Comments (5)

• bi11me
    12 years ago

Don't cut a hole, but an "X" in the plastic. Pull the flaps away and put the soil block underneath. This will prevent more weeds from emerging, since the soil will still be covered, and the growing plants will push the triangular flaps up and away. The onions may need to be given some extra room as they bulb, but your other crops should be fine.

This seems like a lot of work for spinach, though. If you plant spinach with a dense close planting, the plastic is unnecessary.

Be sure you have good tilth in the soil you are covering. If it is too hard, your root crops will have constrained growth once they reach the juncture between the soil block and the native soil.

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

I've heard that burning a hole will work much better than cutting, you won't have the fraying that cutting will allow for.

• boulderbelt
    12 years ago

We burn X in our landscape fabric and plant soil blocks through that. One thing, you do not want large plants when planting soil blocks in plastic. I like my seedlings to have no more then 4 sets of leaves.

None of the crops you name do we do in soil blocks (beets and spinach hate to be transplanted so we always direct seed those crops. Onions do much, much, much better it if planted in 8" nursery pots as they really need the depth to grow decent roots.

We grow tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, melons, zucchini & basil in soil blocks and plant those crops on plastic. We also grow many other things in soil blocks but they are never planted on plastic

• randy41_1
    12 years ago

i use a bulb planter to make holes in mulch plastic.

• derock_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input.

bi11me - I don't know why I didn't think of making an X - it makes perfect sense.

In my area I am moving to growing more and more crops in plastic. I have quack grass - a terrible tendril type weed that only plastic slows down (nothing stops it). Plastic keeps it from creeping in from the paths.

Spinach - previously I wouldn't use plastic but with the multi plant blocks I thought there would be more opportunity for weeds with the wider spacing between blocks. Maybe I am worrying too much.

Sponsored