Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brookw_gw

one year ago

brookw_gw
11 years ago

It was 22 this morning. It snowed all day yesterday--no accumulation though. I don't have a thing planted, and most of my fields are soaked. Just for kicks, I thought I'd check last year's journal, and here's what I found: 2/27 planted spinach, 3/7 finished most fruit plantings 50 rhubarb, 40 blueberries, 12 grapes, raspberries 3/10 opened up all my fields, 3/14 all onions planted, 3/15 peaches in full bloom, 3/16 mowed for the first time 3/17 harvested first asparagus, 3/19 all lettuce, beets, chard, kohlrabi, turnips, peas, carrots, radishes planted. 3/23 all 28 rows of potatoes are planted. Oh well, maybe I can finish all my pruning this weekend!

Comments (12)

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

The weatherman just stated that we were at least 10 degrees cooler than normally and we were in the 80s last year while this year in the 40s.

Might explain why the plants aren't so anxious to get going.

This post was edited by myfamilysfarm on Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 17:44

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

I don't know what it was this date last year - we did have a heat wave last March that caused all the apple trees to blossom, then they froze.

I guess it's about normal here right now - some days a little warmer than average, some a little colder but the snow is melting (had a lot of rain yesterday). Some nights above freezing but it's back below 32 again, teens predicted tomorrow night. Flurries right now. Too soon to think about planting anything, too late to go out and prune the blueberries, just about time to start the tomato seeds...

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

We are about 10 degrees below normal. Snowing alittle while ago, tomorrow sun tomorrow, cold front going thru now, then coming back tomorrow as a warm front. then another cold front.

• little_minnie
    11 years ago

I am so pissed! The weather is so disappointing. I knew my succession schedule was tight but now I think it will be impossible. Everything depends on getting the cold stuff all planted before 4/15.

• henhousefarms
    11 years ago

We were lamenting this afternoon that it's only March and we are already behind (go figure).

Tom

• veggievicki
    11 years ago

High of 79 today and 70s tomorrow as well. We've had rain about once every four or five days but I've managed to get some tilling and planting done in spite of it. My onion sets are greening up, a few peas poking up through, but nothing so far from the potatoes. There was one little dry spell that I jumped on and from the whining at our market meeting about two weeks ago I'm thinking many didn't. I've learned to cover my raised beds with plastic in Jan and Feb because generally it's going to rain buckets. I just roll out the cheap black 3 foot wide plastic and anchor it down with landscape pins. and some concrete blocks.

• boulderbelt
    11 years ago

Last year it was in the mid 70's and we had all the pruning done (which was good because the fruit trees and brambles were leafing out) and the asparagus was poking out of the ground.

This year we have about 2/3 the pruning done and it is damp and grey and cool here-typical early spring weather. I like this year a lit better than last year so far. I'll bet we don't get nearly as many 100+ degree days this summer.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

Just south of me it was 50 something this morning, we were at 37. Barely 1 hr south, grrrrrrr.

Went to a farm auction today, of course, yesterday it was beautiful. today cold and windy. Doesn't it sound like outdoor auction weather???

• brookw_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maybe it's just me, but has it been windier than normal over the last few months? It's probably just my advancing years, but it seems like I'm always waiting for it to stop blowing so I can do certain things like turn compost or spread mulch. In addition, we also need a lot of sunshine--just to improve our mood. I planted some currants and gooseberries today in the middle of a blowing snow storm. Who knows, maybe that will be a lucky thing. I also feel kinda sad for my rhubarb; it started swelling up real good a couple weeks ago, but I think it's afraid to commit to this weather and is just cowering close to the ground.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

seems that way to me, too.

• randy41_1
    11 years ago

i've been following the CPC forecast for years and in general its fairly accurate. from what i see the cold weather continues for at least the next couple of weeks.
    this is the 6-10 day. they also have an 8-14 day.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

thanks for the link, we'll still be cold. very depressing for me.

Sponsored