Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veggiechica

Help for a fledgling...i've got big dreams!!!

veggiechica
19 years ago

Alright, i have been lurking this forum for awhile and i have to say i have have fallen head over heels for it and the incredibly knowledgable people that post here.

My husband and I bought our first house this past fall and now have ample space to garden and we are building a greenhouse as well. I figure i'll have about a 1/4 acre to work (plus the grhse) once all is said and done. I've had small gardens in the city and am fairly knowledgable when it comes to the how-to, plus i read everything i can get my hands on, this past winter was long and i had lots of time to learn new things!

This set-up is really a dream for us, its totally small compared to what many of you are running on here, but after being crammed butt to butt with neighbors in the city it is most refreshing. Its like one of those things you're like, wow, never would've thought i'd be here if you would've asked me a year ago. Eventually, but not so soon. Anyhoo, things work a certain way and i see a good opportunity here, my head is just swirling with what i think is possible.

I guess what i would really love to do is to sell potted perennials, including culinary herbs that are both annual and perennial, fresh cut herbs, and possibly some garden surplus.

There is a small farmers market about 10 mi away and another larger one that is 30 mi away. The closer one is in a very, very small town but the market is very relaxed, $5 to set up a table and sell on Saturdays. The other, in a city of about 60,000, is $165 for the whole season (which is a good i think) that goes from end of April - Oct.

So i have the access to markets, and we have a truck i can use too, its just that i have never done anything on this land and would have loved to prep beds in the fall, but we moved here in November. I've started my seeds inside, built a really ghetto (but i'm too proud :) cold frame from things i've found and have been working non-stop on creating nice wide, deep, raised beds.

First and foremost i am focused on providing food for us but I've also always dreamt of making a go at selling things i grow. Plus i could prove wrong all the unsupportive people that tell me "that's just a hobby!". I still realize that i am pretty young and am trying not to want it all now; i know good things take time and a lot of hard work.

I have education in design and marketing and am drawn to that aspect too. So that, plus a love of plants and growing things plus living in a very rural area has brought me to the conclusion that i must market garden!

I'm sorry this is so long...I will get to my questions and any help or advice would be received with great thanks!

-What varieties of potted perennials have people had/seen the most success with?

I was thinking maybe daylilies, columbine?

How about for herbs? Potted basil, dill, or do perennials like oregano, chives, thyme, mint, etc go over better?

Also, anyone have any experience with potted medicinals like comfrey, calendula, st john's wort, the list goes on forever...

And i love the idea of giving recipes and uses for plants to my would-be customers, i think that would be great. Plus, just making accessible for people the fresh, healthy things to eat/grow/use that are grown with no pesticides, ahh, its what i want to do!

Basically there are so many things to grow, now that i have more space its like, whoa, free reign. I am getting through Growing and Selling Fresh Cut Herbs by Sandie Shores right now and its very helpful. I was just looking for some advice from people who know the market scene and what is well-received. I know different things are popular in different areas but any advice or observances are much welcomed.

Ok, thank you anyone who's made it to the end and for all the wonderful things i've read on here thus far!

~Sarah

Comments (11)

• trianglejohn
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm not at a farmer's market per se, but rather a flea market. But a much larger crowd and many food/herb/plant vendors (though most look like resellers to me - but then, the farmers market has the same problem.) What I can see so far with my limited experience is that the high volume products tend to change with the seasons. And that the customers are more "knowledgeable" then I was lead to believe. By this I mean that some of them have some crazy ideas about what to do with what and when to plant such-n-such and they sure don't want ME telling them a more scientific technique. Most of the older people shopping my booth want to explain all about gardening to me as if I didn't have a clue what I was doing. Kinda entertaining. I just smile and nod and sell them something else.

• veggiechica
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks John, i can imagine you do get the people who think they know everything...you are right on for smiling and nodding! I guess they'd prob be more apt to buy while feeling
    "smart"! And the changing with the seasons observation is good, i was wondering and thinking about that.
    ~Sarah

• trianglejohn
    19 years ago

Another problem I had recently was having to deal with psycho vendors. Most of the other vendors are friendly, supportive, sharing and wonderful. But there are a few that just don't fit in with normal society and they seem drawn to the new guy. I have yet to figure out a way to get them as far away from my booth as possible. It takes a lot of my time just dealing with them - it is as if they have worn out their welcome at all the other booths so they hang out at mine, interupt me talking to customers, give their opinions on my products.. etc. They seem to want to direct me and correct my mistakes, but they are ruining the whole experience.

My guess is that they are loosely involved with their booth (only there to help set up and take down) while someone else runs the show. I haven't figured out a way to kindly ask them to leave but I will, eventually.

• kevinw1
    19 years ago

Hi Sarah, I am in Powell River, out on the BC Coast. Last year was my first year: I grew a 50 x 50' garden of veg, herbs and flowers... a little of everything... and sold at the local farmers market and to friends. I basically covered all my expenses and made a very few $$ over, regarding the year as a trial run to find out all kinds of things... what I preferred growing and selling, what there was less competition in at our market, what people wanted, what prices could be got for various things... all the kinds of things you don't get to learn by home gardening.

My suggestion would be that you make a plan for this year and work it, but regard the whole thing as a grand experiment and learning experience. Don't fret too much about getting the balance of products right first time, because you can't.

Good luck, and have fun!

Kevin Wilson
    Fiddlers Farm
    Powell River, BC, Canada

• julia_123
    19 years ago

Sarah, I think you have a fantasic idea. I will be in the same boat as you in about 2 years. :) Right now I still live in the city with my "corporate" job. I don't like it so I've been reading countless books on clarifying what I want, finding direction, and starting a small business. I realize that what I really want to do is move back to the country and work with growing and selling plants/vegetables/herbs (just have to stay here until I pay off my debts ! :)). People have been really supportive so far. Try not to listen to those who say, "That's just a hobby!" They probably just hate their jobs and are jealous that you're going after your dreams. :) I say, go for it!!! One thing I've read over and over in these books is about scaling back your lifestyle so you don't NEED to make as much. I started doing this last month and I've already saved almost $500.00 just by eating out less, buying generic, and stopping the impulse buying. If you don't have as much money going out, you won't have to be so stressed out that so much money needs to be coming in from your business. And, you'll be having a blast. What a life!! :) Good luck!!

• veggiechica
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'll make a point to watch out for the nut-job co-vendors John, thanks for the heads up!
    Thank you so much for your replies as well Kevin and Julia; its so nice to hear from others who are on the same page.
    I do realize that starting small and doing a trial year is totally in order, see what happens and go from there. I think i am learning already that this type of biz is about patience. I can't worry about things and try to plan everything to a T, i'd drive myself looney, thats for sure!
    And a scaling back of lifestyle is great advice, for anyone really and its amazing how much you can change things by separating needs from wants. I kind of did that when i moved out here from the city, its refreshing. I too worked a job in the city and it is hard to throw it all down and try to make a go of the country life but i think its all worth it in the end. Just have to be creative...
    Thanks guys, good luck right back atchas! ~Sarah

• Melissa_in_NE
    19 years ago

Hi Sarah.
    We have only had our place for 10 months and are still getting the feel of the local farmers market and the customers of our own stand.
    It is a grand adventure!
    I can't stress enough what all the great people here are telling you about it being a learning experience the first couple years. We moved in to our orchard in June of last year. We had our taxes figured for 2004 and the orchard had a loss of $8,000.00. Of course we bought a used tractor and orchard/cider supplies, trees, stawberry plants, etc. We do not expect to make a profit this year either. We will be pleasantly surprised if we do.
    As far as lifestyle changes, we are so busy with our 10 acre plot we don't have time for anything else and the town we live in (population 800) doesn't even have a red light much less a place to eat (we can get a great ice cream cone!).

MElissa

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    19 years ago

When I read Veggie Chica's original Q I thought of some ideas we got at a veggie conference on selling herbs, perrenial and annual. We grow many herbs to sell as cut bunches and Basil always tops the list in our area, whether it is sweet or one of the lemons,limes,cinnimon,licorice,opal,red...well you get the picture. But pesto recipes are a great sales booster for basil and I always situate the basil (and cilantro) next to our tomato display because people need to be reminded of the association of the two.

But when it comes to the other herbs, we had moderate sales of potted herbs until we took it to a new level in offering mixed herb "SIX PACKS". Six different basils= "PESTO PACK". Combine other herbs to make the "SEASONING PACK", "FRAGRANCE PACK", "MEDICINAL PACK", FLAVOR PACK", "TEA PACK", etc. Start your herbs separately and at different times to allow the packs to all look uniform when you combine them to create the six packs. For instance, dill and cilantro grow much faster than ..... Rosemary, Lavender and Thyme are slow growers. You will be amazed at the increased sales, especially in areas where people associate six packs with beverages.

• kevinw1
    19 years ago

The herb six packs sound like a great idea! What size pots are you using for the individual plants, or are you growing them all in one 72-size 6-pack, just starting at different times?

Kevin

• GrassIsEvil
    19 years ago

Other ideas for the six-packs would be "Italian Cooking", "Greek Cooking", etc.

I've said this before, but think fall-back for everything. If you have some potted perennials that don't sell, what are you going to do with them? Can you overwinter them and sell them as larger plants next year? Can you take cuttings for new plants? Can you harvest seeds? Can you wholesale them to a florist? Can you sell them at a farmstand? Can you donate them to a charitable organization and get a tax write-off? (Donating them to an auction for a charitable organization also sometimes lets you get acquainted with those community leaders who organize such things.)

Also, though this may sound tacky, get in the habit of accepting all things free, as long as you have room for them. Someone's dividing their perennials. You don't need daylilies, or you've seen these daylilies and they're ugly--well, my vote is to take them anyway. Plant them in a spare corner. Potted up, they'll make your stock look fuller even if they don't sell and you will find that someone somewhere sometime someplace likes nearly every color in the universe. At worse, they can be added to the compost heap.

Ray

• prairiemaid
    18 years ago

It's almost impossible to plan a garden to the "T". There are too many factors that influence it. The best thing is to plan but stay flexible. Be ready for plan B (or C) and also be aware of opportunities when they present themselves. It's an adventure, have fun!!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022