Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
selling named cultivar plants at market

Posted by diggerdee z6 CT (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 28, 06 at 14:02

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and pretty new to market gardening. I kind of fell into it and started selling cut flowers at my local farmer's market last year. I'm still learning a lot as I go along.

Today I was dragging some of my many potted perennials out of my garage, where they spend the winter. I noticed that some of the daylilies were getting crowded in their pots, and the thought crossed my mind that I could sell some at the farmer's market. (I sold some annuals and a few perennials last year which I started from seed, but that was the extent of my plant sales.)

My question is, are there any ethical/legal issues regarding selling named cultivars? (I'm very fuzzy on the whole hybridizing/naming process, and quite frankly don't even know if I'm using the right vocabulary here, but hopefully everyone can understand what I'm getting at) If I sell a named daylily, for instance, is there someone somewhere who should be getting a cut? And how do I go about doing that? Or is it okay to sell named plants?

Can anyone help me on this issue, or direct me to where I can get more info?

Thank you,
:)
Dee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: selling named cultivar plants at market

If the cultivar is patented then you can't sell it without permission from the patent holder (most often you pay a fee to propagate these varieties).

Look up the names in any current index (any catalog or trade publication) and if the PPAF or patent pending info is included in their listing then the plant is off limits for propagation.

o

Thanks, TriangleJohn! This is a big help and I appreciate your response.

:)
Dee

o

Question....Let's just say I have some patented daylilies growing. What if I just sold them as lemon yellow day lilies(or whatever) If I didn't say they were a certain cultivar, could I still sell them?????

o

I've seen it done. It is a way some people get around the patent protection thing. It does seem that customers do respond to the marketing jobs done on named cultivars though. So you may not move as much of your Lemon Yellows when you tell people "they're just as good as Megapatent Yellows". If you look through much of the plant material available (especially the showy foliar perennials) you will see plenty of identical twins, at least to the untrained eye. And I have a problem with some of the old timey favorites that are now offered as an improved version under a different name and patented. To me, if you want a patent protecting your hard research efforts, do a better job of refining the cultivar.

o

Added note re: Heidi's question. Ethics here! What if you are the patent holder? It is quite a process to get a plant or seed stock patented and you want to recoup the expenses. The customer has a right to expect pure stock, too. I've even seen seed exchangers offer hybrid seeds of a known item when you know right well they had no access to the parent lines.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here