Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

selling named cultivar plants at market

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and pretty new to market gardening. I kind of fell into it and started selling cut flowers at my local farmer's market last year. I'm still learning a lot as I go along.

Today I was dragging some of my many potted perennials out of my garage, where they spend the winter. I noticed that some of the daylilies were getting crowded in their pots, and the thought crossed my mind that I could sell some at the farmer's market. (I sold some annuals and a few perennials last year which I started from seed, but that was the extent of my plant sales.)

My question is, are there any ethical/legal issues regarding selling named cultivars? (I'm very fuzzy on the whole hybridizing/naming process, and quite frankly don't even know if I'm using the right vocabulary here, but hopefully everyone can understand what I'm getting at) If I sell a named daylily, for instance, is there someone somewhere who should be getting a cut? And how do I go about doing that? Or is it okay to sell named plants?

Can anyone help me on this issue, or direct me to where I can get more info?

Thank you,

:)

Dee

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Third-Generation Family-Owned Masonry Supplier in Virginia