Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Artichokes worth the space?

Posted by gama_garden_tx 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 14:06

I've put in a test area with purple artichokes, but am concerned they may become an invasive weed in my climate. Does anyone grow artichokes, and are they worth it? Do you have high sales and/or profit margin with them and how much space did you dedicate to them? I'd like to get some feedback while they are still young enough to remove somewhat easily. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Artichokes worth the space?

• Posted by budb 8b (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 16:51

I have been growing Imperial Star here in S. Louisiana for several years. I get $3 ea. for full size fruit. Blooming chokes go for $5+ ea. The small secondarys are sold as baby chokes for $4 per quart basket. Occasionally, I will sell branches with several blooming fruit for up to $20.
Definitely worth the space!
I treat them as an annual by planting seed in September, transplanting to field in November and plowing under old plants in summer....no invasive problems.
Good Luck!
Bud

This post was edited by budb on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 16:58

o

Not in my area. I tried them but they didn't survive enough even to transplant. DIL loves them is the reason we tried.

o

Here in Oregon our climate is ok, but not great for artichokes.
I keep about 75 plants growing, some replanted every year due to mice eating the roots in the winter. I bring a small box to market each week, selling maybe $20-30 worth. I also eat a lot of them.

The only reason I dedicate the space for them is because they grow outside the deer fence and I like eating them so much. I wouldn't bother in this climate to try to make much money from them.

-Mark

o

so deer don't go for artichokes?

o

Not my deer. Can't speak for yours...lol

My only pests on the chokes are voles, slugs and aphids.

o

Interesting thread. We own property far beyond the fence, and I'd love to try growing these. We have gophers and voles, and most things get planted in gopher baskets with a high tube of the same 1/2" chicken wire. The spreading form of the chokes might make that tube useless, but I'm willing to try!

In my zone, I'm thinking this might be a fall/winter planting.

Costco will miss my weekly purchase of chokes for sure!

Suzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here