Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener365

RE: What I've learned Reading Here Today

gardener365
15 years ago

Hi all, first of all thanks so much for your help.

This is my first year. I've learned a lot in the thread:

"Selling by weight vs. Pre-bagged Produce". If you don't mind I have some basic questions that require information I just can't pick up in a quick read. So again, this is very much appreciated on your's and mine's behalf. Best Regards...

I'm growing a greenhouse full of flowers and herb and tomato starts (16 foot long attached x 6 wide) and I've got plenty of room to accomodate at least 1500 4" pots I suppose if I really jam em in there so that's my size of operation. And then I have a hoophouse that's unheated but is 25 foot in length and 10 foot wide that will accomodate more plants as things warm up and I start needing the extra space. It serves as a shadehouse and winter storage house.

I've timed things so that I can sow my tree seeds along with cuttings, etc- whatever I need to do starting after the last frost here so basically I'll begin to grow another entire round of 1500 potted plants, starting at the time I begin selling at the markets. I happen to grow a lot of Japanese maple seedlings, etc- some of which I'll be selling. All being hybrids of cultivated forms, again from seed though.

Ultimately my greenhouse will be used only during winter for grafting of conifers and deciduous plant material as I'm on my way to being a small-scale online nursery. My addiction is conifers. Until then, I'll enjoy the market as a source of extra income and as a way to start my conifer nursery.

In addition I'll be working outdoors tending 7000 seeds of four varieties of corn.

All my corn seeds are the sugar-enhanced "hybrids" and are not effected from cross-pollination. I did this to allow life to be simple so I can keep them all growing right next to each other.

An assortment:

Sugar Buns (yellow)

Colorow (yellow)

Whiteout (white)

Mystique (bi-color)

Brocade (bi-color)

---------------------------------------------------------

Flowers Prices Question:

Zonal Geraniums (largely branched in 4" pot)

I planted the 'Orbit Series'.

Red, Appleblossom, White, Violet

And also the "Burpee Paint Box Mix"

What do these sell for? I'm thinking about 3.50 each or 3 for 10.

Other seedlings I'll be selling:

Mountain Mint

Chinese Lanterns

Borage

Peppers

Lavender

Heirloom Tomato Starts all are red-slicing except for one yellow Cherry tomato. 'Pink Accordian' is my oddball one, however, I have heard it sells well and is a great slicer in addition to its' funky shape.

Basil

Various perennials - just a whole bunch of things.

I'll also be selling (trial) a screening conifer similar to Thuja 'Green Giant'. 6-9" cuttings in a 5" tall tree pot 3x3x5" deep: 3 dollars I was thinking again. I might get away with 4, whatcha think?

My food crops are very basic:

Corn 4 bucks a dozen

Peppers 2 for a buck

Tomatoes I have no idea. 50 cents each I don't know.

Green Beans 3 bucks a quart. I have no idea!

Sweet Peas same, no idea (all greens in plastic containers)

Beets Never grown em. I'm growing a large purple one. Chicago something.

Basil How do I price Basil?

Watermelon 'Cream of Sas.' Probalby won't sell. Yellow core with lemony flavor. Supposed to be like a lemon 'icee'. Maybe it might sell. I have no idea.

Cantaloupe - A super large Heirloom: 'Canoe Creek Colossal'

Radish 'China White' Price? Up to 18" long?

Chamomile How to sell? Price?

Dill Price? Packaging?

So the only two things I'll need a scale for are the two melons.

Presentation:

Nice Tablecloths & Baskets I think are a real smart investment.

Thanks for any suggestions!

With Regards,

Dax

Other pertinent information:

And I believe I need a tent to help in cooling the food and it might even help with overall presentation. My market allows for samples to be cut of tomatoes for example...

My two ways of hauling are a full-size Chevy van with no rear seats as well as an S-10 Chevy pick-up truck with no cab cover.

Ice?:

What food items from my list will require ice under "what circumstances" if applicable, i.e. storing an entire vanful of corn ears picked the morning of and keeping them fresh till 1 or 2 pm when the market shuts down? Again, I appreciate your help.

Comments (3)

• gardener365
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Questions answered.

Best Regards,

Dax

• hanselmanfarms
    15 years ago

I don't use a scale for my melons, I price all the same price for cantalope. You will find that some people will pick the largest ones, other people pick the smallest one. Larger ones don't have the same sweetness as the small ones.

Not knowing your area, prices would be hard to determine. I don't set my prices, in stone, until I show up at the market. I have even let my first customers tell me what they would pay. Sometimes, I change it later, if their price is too low.

Your corn price is about what we got last year.
    Use a scale and weigh up a few quarts of beans to get an idea how much is in the quarts. Legally (weights & measures) says that using boxes/quantities are not recommended and strongly discouraged.

Different tomato samples would help sell your tomatoes. Trust me, if a customer taste a tomato that is really great, they will tell your other customers and customers of different farmers.

I use a full-size van, and have for several years. You should have plenty of room, except maybe sweet corn time.
    I save 2liter bottles and freeze them with water. these are my "ice", I have put them in coolers, I have even used a old freezer that didn't work anymore.

I strongly recommend the plastic tables made by "Lifetime". I have used them for about 5 years, everyday, 6 months/yr, 3 days/week. After 5 yrs, they are starting to show some wear.

I also use plain, flannel backed, green tablecloths. The color is compatiable with almost any produce, and not distracting. Also, it doesn't stain with berries juice. Just throw in washer and dry, ready to go for next market. I picked my up in the after Christmas sales.

I strongly recommend a Pop-up canopy, 10x10 best size. Do invest in a better quality canopy. Well worth the extra money, it will hold up better. I have 1 that has seen 5 yrs of market before the top starts to need repair. (I am really hard on my equipment).

• norcalconifers
    15 years ago

Dax,
    one thing you might want to think about with the Geraniums, is the $3.50. Making change with coins can be a major pain, especially if you end up with several folks at your stand trying to buy something all at once. I sell Geraniums at 2 for $5.00 or $3.00 each. Good luck with your first year!
    Steven

Sponsored