Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Metals Knowledge for Broadfork?

Posted by rustico_2009 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 14:49

I want to make a broadfork. I can weld stick and have a pretty powerful machine, but don't know too much about metals.

Wondering what to use for tines, the rest should be fine with easy to find weldable steel.

I saw some recomendations for regular bar stock but I think that will bend. I intend to make a brute of a tool with metal handles not wood.

There is a metal type 4140 that perhaps is the right stuff? Is it stick weldable to other types of steel? ( I can pay someone to mig or fig it)

I also thought of buying 16" grade 8 bolts and drilling the cross bar and bolting them. Those are suppose to be pretty strong....I think I don't care about the tines having any curvature...want them around 14" long maybe 16" and if thats too long I can cut off a few inches.

Anybody have related skills, or make their own broadfork?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Metals Knowledge for Broadfork?

I fabricated my own broadfork but it's been almost 10 years and i'm sorry to say, I've retained little of the metal info. I did find the receipt from the tine stock I used and it's "1/2 inch 86L20 steel" from Pacific Machinery and tool steel co. in Portland, OR.
While I do use the fork and it works well, the tines will bend if really stressed (rocks, new ground, etc). If I was making it again, i'd use slightly harder steel, but not too hard or they'll crack under stress. I also would have made it a little less burly, it's weight makes it tough to use for a long period of time.
Hope this helps a bit.
-Mark

This post was edited by madroneb on Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 21:08

o
RE: Metals Knowledge for Broadfork?

Thanks Mark, I went ahead and bought a fork, mostly because I couldn't readily make one of the quality and functionality I perceive this one to have. Hope my perception isn't off.

Probably make another , wider with lots of tines for better working of beds that are already pretty soft and for harvesting root crops. I don't anticipate too high of forces on the tines and the metal you suggested would probably work for that.

Here is a link that might be useful: broadfork

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here