Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
innisfail_gw

Do and Don't ........................

innisfail
16 years ago

This will be our first year at Farmer's markets

Trying to sell vegetables, plants, etc.

What are things we should do to make it work and what are things that don't work .

I would like to learn, so let me know

Thanks

Comments (3)

• sherryls
    16 years ago

I wouldn't worry what others are doing. I found at our markets that we sell what we sell for what we decide before we get to market. I see alot of vendors pretending to visit your stand and are actually price checking. I feel it is rude and they are not confident in their product and pricing. If you want to know what someone is selling for comparison be upfront and ask and say you just want to be comproable. I personally check our state department of agriculture website and the USDA website for pricing in our area for produce. If you look it should give the general prices for organic and non organic produce for each month of the year. USDA does it weekly I think. That can give you a start and if your not selling then lower your price some. Also make your produce sell itself by keeping it neat and clean and display in baskets or attractive layout. We have found if you display them nicely people look more and buy more. You dont have to spend alot. Just collect things around home and from friends and neighbors - everyone has a million old baskets and tubs and stuff around that you can wash up or paint to make a nice display. We find alot at yard sales. We are vultures on anything we can use on the table.I bought probably 10 baskets last summer for like $1.50. Also gather and collect used plastic grocery bags from everyone you know. People want things bagged up to carry if they dont have their own market bags. It is a good way to recycle and people like knowing your recycling bags and not buying new plastic bags to package in. We have several neighbors bring them to us as well as we save all ours. Some of our usual customers bring us their extra bags when they come to market. Saves plastic and money. Also - always keep plenty of change on hand. Nothing like having someone buy something and they pay with a $20 or $50 and you cant break it. We always keep a base amount in the top of our cash box but I also keep 6 extra $5's and $10's and $20 in ones under the drawer in case it is one of those days when people all pay with big bills. Ummm. Label every thing clearly so people know your prices. People dont always ask if they dont see a price they just walk away and buy somewhere else. They want to know the cost upfront. Bring a everything bag. We have a big huge totebag with extra tape,maskingtape, duct tape, scissors, string, markers, pens, stapler, and anything else under the sun you just might need in a pinch. You never know you needed it until your at market and dont have it. We keep this bag stocked and ready. Papertowels is a big thing. We have to clean produce that somehow didnt get cleaned enough or clean ourselves or wipe up water after a rain shower. I think those are our big do's and don'ts. Just be proud of your work and enjoy it. Department of Ag and USDA is a good way to base your price fairly.

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

I bought a small bright yellow tool box into which I toss all the pens/markers, rubber bands, push pins, index cards, scotch tape, plant labels, small photo book of plants, rags, etc. It is so easy to carry and wedge into the back seat - makes things so easy.

Markets are different. Customers are different. There is no way to plan ahead for what they might want. You can only control what you do. So grow the best you can, display it the best you can, sell it if someone wants to buy it.

Established markets can have the advantage in that customers have already been trained to expect to pay more for something - but sometimes the opposite happens. This is something you won't be able to control. If the most convenient market for you is one where the customers want everything dirt cheap - be careful what you offer. Don't try to sell high end product at a low end market, you will just end up frustrated.

You can over plan things. Just take what you want to sell and see how well it goes. Over time you will fine tune your business. Jump in the water is fine!

• boulderbelt
    16 years ago

Do use table cloths on your tables.
    Do use signs for pricing
    Do price on the high side
    Do show up every week-if you are git and miss customers will quickly decide you are not reliable and will not patronize your stand.
    Do treat this like a business and not a hobby
    Don't undercut others on price just to make a quick sale.
    Don't show up late chronically
    Do be cheerful and greet everyone who walks by your stand (which gets really boring after a short while but what seems old to you is new to the passers by)
    Do keep your stand looking nice all through the market by restocking and moving things around as things sell out-don't leave empty baskets or spots on your table(s)
    pack all greens in coolers with ice packs on top of towels. this will keep them fresh throughout the market. Put out only a few bunches, bags at a time in warm/hot weather so you don't have everything wilted in the first half hour of market thus making them all unsellable.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths